installing a graphics card...

jimdee79 20:35 12 Dec 05

i have the following PC:-

Fast Intel Pentium 4 3.40Ghz processor (latest 650 Prescott processsor with hyper-threading. 800 Mhz FSB 2 MB cache coupled with intel EM64T ready for 64 bit windows )

Massive 160G SATA Hard drive

1Gb Fast DDR2 533Mhz Ram

Integrated Intel graphics

2 spare PC1 slots for modem or soundcard etc, 1 spare PCIexpress slot for graphics, 1 empty hard drive bay

basically i need to install a brand new pci express graphics card that i have just bought. I need to disable the current graphics chip on my system, am i right in thinking that i have to go into the system bios and do the following?

go into bios on startup scroll down to Video using arrow keys on keyboard
press enter key
Primary video [press enter key]
change from PCI to PEG using arrow keys
press escape
press escape again
arrow keys to ' save and exit'
press enter

is this what i have to do before fitting and installing my new pci express graphics card?

thanks

Totally-braindead 20:41 12 Dec 05

Most motherboards automatically disable the onboard graphics when they detect a new graphics card. I would try just plugging it in first and see what it does. Might be stating the obvious but make sure its unplugged from the mains first.

jimdee79 20:45 12 Dec 05

that sounds good... i hope its as simple as that!! i know its an onboard graphics chip, but the guy i bought the PC off said i'd need to disable the graphics chip first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…