installing a graphics card...

jimdee79 20:35 12 Dec 05

i have the following PC:-

Fast Intel Pentium 4 3.40Ghz processor (latest 650 Prescott processsor with hyper-threading. 800 Mhz FSB 2 MB cache coupled with intel EM64T ready for 64 bit windows )

Massive 160G SATA Hard drive

1Gb Fast DDR2 533Mhz Ram

Integrated Intel graphics

2 spare PC1 slots for modem or soundcard etc, 1 spare PCIexpress slot for graphics, 1 empty hard drive bay

basically i need to install a brand new pci express graphics card that i have just bought. I need to disable the current graphics chip on my system, am i right in thinking that i have to go into the system bios and do the following?

go into bios on startup scroll down to Video using arrow keys on keyboard
press enter key
Primary video [press enter key]
change from PCI to PEG using arrow keys
press escape
press escape again
arrow keys to ' save and exit'
press enter

is this what i have to do before fitting and installing my new pci express graphics card?

thanks

Totally-braindead 20:41 12 Dec 05

Most motherboards automatically disable the onboard graphics when they detect a new graphics card. I would try just plugging it in first and see what it does. Might be stating the obvious but make sure its unplugged from the mains first.

jimdee79 20:45 12 Dec 05

that sounds good... i hope its as simple as that!! i know its an onboard graphics chip, but the guy i bought the PC off said i'd need to disable the graphics chip first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now