Installing Graphics Accelerator Card

Taurus 21:14 14 Oct 10

I am in the process of upgrading my wife's PC and I have encountered a problem. I have puchased a G-Force 8400GS compatible card manufactured by a company called Palit. When I install it into the PCI 16 slot (I think that's what it's called) on the 'Foxconn' mobo it disables the onboard graphics but will not display from the card, the monitor just displays the message 'Out Of Range'. I can't find any jumpers on the mobo nor anything in the bios to change the VGA, can someone tell me where I am going wrong, there must be something I'm missing.
Many thanks
Dave

STREETWORK 21:52 14 Oct 10

I had this problem with another card.

You need to install the software first.
Then uninstall the current graphics driver and software.
Shut down the PC and replace the card.
Reboot and windows should identify and install the new drivers, follow any prompts.

If it only allows you to use default windows adapter when you reboot, select 'ok', the screen may look a strange.

then use control panel to install new hardware, follow the prompts...

Post Back..

Taurus 22:29 14 Oct 10

STREETWORK, thanks for your reply; I have tried to install the software first but it will not let me do so, saying that there are no drivers suitable for the VGA setup that exists at this time. I'm a bit worried about uninstalling the existing drivers because if it doesn't get the new card working I'm worried that I will end up with no VGA at all. Can you put my mind at rest?

Dave

STREETWORK 07:15 15 Oct 10

Presuming that you are running windows you can set a restore point and use this if the installation goes astray, but rest assured it will be fine.

You will need to uninstall the existing drivers first as windows will report back that the software being installed for the new card is not compatible with the card you have in. when you install the new card and reboot windows should pick it up and automatically install the drivers. When windows reboots it will initially install generic drivers.

Also see this site: click here

Taurus 10:09 16 Oct 10

refresh

AL47 11:13 16 Oct 10

go to the manufacturer website, download the drivers from there.. silly question, you are plugging the monitor into the card? sorry but you never know

Taurus 11:23 16 Oct 10

Please help me,I have tried, several times to get this to work and it is becoming very frustrating. I went through the steps described by STREETWORK, for which I am grateful, but to no avail. When I uninstall the driver for the onboard graphics it tells me to reboot, at that point I shut down the machine and install the card. Upon rebooting, the display says 'No signal', the machine chunders away for a while, I assume while downloading drivers, but nothing happens with the display. A further reboot then displays the message 'Out Of Range' 'VGA In:1024x768' followed by HSync and VSync parameters and the clock speed.I can't of course, change the resolution to something that might be within range as I have no video. Does anyone have any ideas to save my sanity?
Thanks
Dave

Taurus 11:43 16 Oct 10

Thanks AL47, I have done that, it will download the driver but not install it, saying that no compatible device is available, I can't install the card first as it disables the onboard graphics and leaves me without video. It would seem that there is an output from the card, see post above, but the monitor will not display it. I have tried a better monitor but to no avail and I can't see to change the resolution of course.
I can confirm that there is an output from the card as I have again connected a different monitor and got the message 'Cannot Display This Video Mode. Optimum Resolution 1280x1024 60Hz' This is greater than the 1024x768 that the card appears to be outputing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

T0SH 12:11 16 Oct 10

Using the onboard graphics firstly set the screen resolution to 600x800 (reboot if you are required),next open up device manager expand the Display Adaptor then right click uninstall on all entries (refuse the restart when prompted), shutdown the PC unplug the power lead then fit the new card with any additional power connections required

When you power up plug and play should detect the new hardware and install it with a default VGA driver

Then you can put the driver CD in and let it automatically install

cheers HC

Taurus 12:55 16 Oct 10

Thanks Tosh, that is what I have been doing but it ain't working. If I start it up with the standard VGA driver installed it displays 'Out of Range' (as asbove), if I start it up with the standard VGA uninstalled it displays 'No Signal' until I reboot it when it will go back to 'Out of Range, Video In 1024x780' whether or not the resolution was previously set at 800x600. I'm all out of ideas and, quite frankly, paitence.

Dave

Taurus 00:30 17 Oct 10

refresh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009