Installing Graphic Card Problems

spencer boy 12:20 03 May 04

Hi All,

Have recently got a radeon 9600se graphics card to replace my onboard SiS AGP card. Having problems trying to install the thing (firsttime i have tried anything like this).

I have put the card in the slot. When i put the instal disk in and start the pc up - it loads the Radeon diplay adapters which replaces the existing sis display adapters drivers. Then the installation process tries to load the XP Drivers for the card but returns an severe error 'Zero Display Service Error'. As a result no drivers are loaded.

On device manager - system devices, there is a line for the SiS Advance Graphics Port where i assume the new radeon drivers should be loaded. But it stays showing the old sis drivers. If i uninstall the sis drivers then the next time i boot up it automatically loads up the old drivers. If i disable the device - when i try to install the radeon drivers i get another severe erro message saying to load the VGA drivers before i can install the radeon ones. But if i enable the port it loads up the old sis drivers.

So i might be doing this install process wrong - can anyone explain what i should do to install this new graphics card or what i am doing wrong. I can't do the install in safe mode either. There noting in the BIOS that disables the existing onboard card.

Cheers for any help.

DJ-Garry 12:24 03 May 04

You MUST delete ALL entries for the old graphics card before putting the new card in.

DJ-Garry 12:30 03 May 04

Sorry, Didn't see the last bit about the BIOS in your post.
The option to disable onboard graphics is sometimes not obvious.
Mine is just a figure of how much memory assigned to the Graphics. See if you have something like this, probably set at the moment to 8Mb, 16Mb, 32Mb or 64Mb. See if you can set this to ZERO.

If this doesn't work please post details of your motherboard, OS, etc. so other users can help you.

spencer boy 16:13 03 May 04

Thanks for reply.

Not too sure how to delete the entries to my existing onboard card? What am i meant to be deleting and where???

In terms of memory - the old card had 32mb which was displayed during boot-up. This is not displayed once i plug in the new graphics card.

Mobo details (with my old onboard graphics card on):

Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 (IE 6.0 SP1)
DirectX 4.09.00.0900 (DirectX 9.0)
Motherboard
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A, 2800 MHz (21 x 133)
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6533EG/XG (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 651
System Memory 224 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (04/10/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter SiS 650_651_M650_740 (32 MB)
3D Accelerator SiS 315 Integrated
Monitor Proview 772 (FAQC2A0423601)

Cheers.

spencer boy 13:59 05 May 04

The onboard graphics card is disabled automatically.

I have been told the AGP Device Port from my first post shouldn't be touched.

I have uninstalled the existing onboard drivers - put the new radeon card in - rebooted. I have run the install program from the catalyst driver cd and loaded the display adapter drivers for the new card. The the process tries to install the ATI Windows XP Drivers and fails witha severe error as shown in my first post. It then installs the ATI control panel. My worry is the ATI Windows XP drivers and the fact that it is coming back with an error concerns me. Not sure why it is doing this or what i can do to get this installing properly.

There isn't anything in teh BIOS that disables the onboard card and i can't find anything in the mobo manual that tell me how to do this. Been on motherbaord's web-site and when i get home will download the manual and see from that.

Why can something so simple cause so many problems........

Tog 14:14 05 May 04

After you have uninstalled the old driver software, go into your device manager (not sure where it is in XP) and make sure that the display driver is set to VGA. If you have a look in the ATI CD you will find an installation guide. It should mention this in more detail in there.

As for disabling the on-board video, some motherboards detect the card in the AGP slot and do it automatically. If this isn't happening, it could be your ATI card needs reseating, they can be quite finicky.

Rayuk 18:20 05 May 04

click here
Guide to uninstal and reinstal graphics drivers.

Valvegrid 18:29 05 May 04

What card have you got installed in slot 1 on the PCI bus? The reason I ask is that I had a sound card installed in PCI 1 and the graphics card installed in AGP slot, therefore, they shared the same IRQ, needless to say the had an argument and chucked the dummy. I moved it to PCI slot 2 which allocated it another IRQ, problem solved.

spencer boy 10:00 06 May 04

Cheers guys...

Tog: Couldn't find where to set display driver to VGA. Had a look on the cd for install instructions but it never had XP ones... it had everyother windows os but not XP. Didn't hav etime to check these out and not too sure if i should be following the install instruction for another windows type. I checked Sapphires website but couldn't see any idiot proof instructions.

Rayuk: Have checked that out and it seems to be useful. Should be able to adjust it to remove the onboard sis graphics drivers aswell. Will print off thread and read through it. Think the plan will be to uninstall the ATI stuff - uninstall the onbaord stuff following the same guidelines then re-install the ATI stuff. (Sounds easy!!!! My next trick will be to resurrect William Hagues political career!!)

Valvegrid: Haven't got anything in the PCI slots (no sound card)(that's if the slots are the ones below the graphic card slot).

Thanks for input - hopefully my pc still works after kicking it last night in fustration (and hurting my toe!!)

Tog 10:26 06 May 04

Go here click here
And select the getting started guide.

Pay particular attention to page 4 of the pdf doc which refers to installation of the GART driver on SIS chipset motherboards before installing the card.

spencer boy 11:24 06 May 04

Cheers Tog,

Nice and simple installation document. Looks like the GART driver as you mentioned might be the missing link as i haven't downloaded anything like this yet. Will have another crack at it tonight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…