"Installing" fonts... Win98se

Simsy 16:50 12 Feb 04

Hi folks...

A little problem my sister has...

She had made some documents on her old PC and reopening them on her "new" pc some of the fonts obviously aren't installed, resulting in a little appearance problem...

I know that you can install fonts via control panel>file>install, but I'm trying to make this easy for her...

According to my experiments you can "install" a font by just copying the font file to the fonts folder... (a method I can easily talk her through, as she is now used to copying/moving files). Is ther any reason not to do it this way?

thanks in anticipation,

Regards,

Simsy

Diodorus Siculus 16:57 12 Feb 04

The only reason for not copying fonts in that way, is that it does not always work; no harm in giving it a go - if it fails, then go through the usual procedure.

Simsy 16:59 12 Feb 04

so the expectation is that it will work.

I thought so.

Regards,

Simsy

Diodorus Siculus 17:01 12 Feb 04

My impression is that it will not work; but as your experimentation suggests otherwise, then I am open to be surprised.

woodchip 17:11 12 Feb 04

I have always found by just draging the fonts into the Fonts folder works for me. double click a font to look at it

Simsy 08:30 13 Feb 04

I'l wait to tick for a couple of days by way of invitation to other comments...

but I think It's probably answered!

Regards,,

Simsy

jimv7 08:51 13 Feb 04

Open control panel/fonts/file/install new font, browse to the floppy or cd, select the required font, click ok.

Simsy 11:56 13 Feb 04

I think you've misunderstood what I was asking...

I know you can do it the way you indicate... I'm trying to find out if there are any drawbacks to just copying the file into the fonts folder. As I say, it seems to work... I'm wondering if anybody knows of any hidden drawbacks?

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

woodchip 12:17 13 Feb 04

None, you can just drag them in, I have never had a Problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…