Installing firewall & antivirus - 3 questions

polymath 17:07 04 Jun 07

1) Does it matter which I install first?

2) Safe mode or normal mode? (I currently have no security software installed, or anything that might try to connect to the net).

3) They're Avast antivirus and Outpost Free 1.0. Anyone know of any conflicts between them?

I know you're a helpful lot, so before you urge me not to be so careless about security, perhaps I should add that I normally use the Trend PC-cillin security suite. The free software is just to tide me over between a now unsupported version, and moving to a new computer that will run the new one. And I am trying not to be online untill they're installed (except to this helproom)!

I think the choice of software is sorted, too; it was suggested in another thread, to work with WIN98SE, and not involve large downloads (no BB here yet).

rawprawn 17:13 04 Jun 07

You should have no problems with Avast and Outpost. I would install Avast first in normal mode then Outpost. After that run a full scan.

brundle 17:15 04 Jun 07

1 No
2 Normal mode
3 Don't know, I vaguely recall trying the combination on a spare PC and all seemed well. Handy ad/banner blocker in Outpost

polymath 19:01 04 Jun 07

Many thanks, Rawprawn and Brundle! It's all I need to know. and so quickly too. I'm off to install them, then catch up on emails etc.

Another plus for me about this software is that the suggestions in the other thread took into account wanting it to uninstall cleanly (it's only for a month or 2).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos