Installing extra Hard drive.

algernonymous 19:58 04 Aug 04

I've got a new PC with an 80gig HD into which I am going to put my old 10gig HD so that I can access my old info as and when. (and to make it easier to transfer files). I'm going to install the same OS (WIN98) on the new drive, but when you have 2 drives with different OS's on, it's easy to choose which one you want, however, what happens when they're both the same?

Night Ryder 20:12 04 Aug 04

Should work OK even though the OP systems are the same. The best way to set up your new drive first. The new drive should be atached to the primary IDE interface as a master (set the jumper). If not already set up, partition it as an active primary, format it and install the Op system. Once you are satisfied that the system is set up and working the way you want it, shut down the system and install the old 10gig drive. If you install the old drive to the same IDE interface you will have to set it's jumper to slave. If you install the old drive to the secondary IDE interface you can leave the jumper as it is. That's all there is to it.

jonnytub 20:13 04 Aug 04

setup your pc with the new hdd first, then once done add the old one, transfer your files then format it.

SEASHANTY 20:39 04 Aug 04

Multiple booting click here

algernonymous 20:43 04 Aug 04

Ah yes - the IDE leads! I've got a cd and cd-rw to go in as well... What's the best way to attach them all? Thanks.

jonnytub 20:43 04 Aug 04

personally i would use the 80 gb hdd as the primary drive, transfer the files over that you wish to keep, format the second, make a new folder on the 10gb hdd, copy the transfered files back over, and use it as a backup of your most important data, i don't see much point to a dual boot when the os's are the same.

algernonymous 16:11 07 Aug 04

Thanks all, I think I'll do what jonnytub suggests.
But, out of interest, if you had two drives that contained the same OS, how would you differentiate between the two on boot-up?
(For instance, I have a machine that has XP and W98 on, and you get the choice of either on boot-up)

jonnytub 17:09 07 Aug 04

the top choice would most likely be the os installed on the c: drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:31 07 Aug 04

80GB primary master

10GB primary slave

CD-RW secondary master

CD secondary slave

algernonymous 20:30 07 Aug 04

Right. Thanks everyone. I'll get to it.

algernonymous 22:31 24 Aug 04

Well I've done it, 80gig is c:, 10gig is d:, but how do I bring up my 'favorites' list and copy to c:?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…