installing a dvdrw in my compaq EXM

hugoboss38 13:37 08 Nov 09

ive got a dvdrw that i want to install on a exm p333 how do i go about doing it

Technotiger 14:45 08 Nov 09

Please pardon my ignorance, but just what is a ex, p33 ??

Technotiger 14:45 08 Nov 09

or even - exm p333 ??

Technotiger 14:54 08 Nov 09

Hmm, I have been a Google-ing, so not quite as ignorant as I was a minute ago:-)

It is a Tower PC - so it should be a doddle to insert a DVDRW Drive, by removing the right-hand panel enabling access to one of the empty 5.5" Bays.

Technotiger 15:01 08 Nov 09

Step by step ... click here

hugoboss38 01:04 09 Nov 09

tecnotiger
ive done all the above ie the link u gave me but when i put a music cd or any kind of cd into the drive it wont play it but will play dvds. Whats going on jumpers are in the places that they should be is the pc that old it can not work on it.

hugoboss38 01:05 09 Nov 09

thanks for your help tiger though

gazzaho 04:33 09 Nov 09

Some older drives had a connection from the sound card to the DVD drive, and as far as I can remember this was needed in order to play music Cd's.

Does the drive have a connector marked audio at the back? If you take a look at the picture of the back panel of the optical drive here you will see an audio connector (click here) if your drive has one you need a cable from the sound card. I just googled a bit and found one here (click here) I'm not recommending you to buy from this place, I've never used them myself, it was just the first link I found selling the cable.

I'm not sure about newer drives with older machines, the sound connector may omitted from newer drives, I don't think SATA drives have an audio socket for instance.

Technotiger 07:41 09 Nov 09

You need the Audio cable as per gazzaho's second link.

hugoboss38 09:13 09 Nov 09

IVE DONE THAT FITTED THE AUDIO CABLE BUT WHEN I PUT THE CD INTO THE DRIVE SAY A MUSIC CD OR A GAME DISC IN IT DONT RECONISE IT. BUT WHEN I PUT A DVD IN IT RECONISE IT, THATS THE PROBLEM IM HAVING DO I NEED TO INSTALL FIRMWARE OR THE DRIVER FOR IT CAUSE IF I DO I CAN NOT FIND IT. THE CDRWDVD IS A SONY CRX3100EE

gazzaho 10:15 09 Nov 09

The drive is probably faulty, as far as I know the CD part of the drive uses a different laser than the DVD one.

It's possible a firmware update may do some good, drivers shouldn't be a problem as most drives use the generic Windows ones.

There's a problem which happens with optical drives sometimes and upper and lower filter registry entries being corrupted, but this usually manifests as Windows not recognising the drive. You can read through it here (click here) but I don't think it applies in your case.

I'm sorry I can't help further.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac