Installing DVD-ROM

Sparky3327 20:32 14 Sep 04

I currently have only 1 DVD Drive which is also a writer and I want to add another DVD-ROM for convenience.
The current DVD is set to slave and the HDD to master, using the same ribbon cable to the mobo.
How do I set it up, with particular regard to ribbon cable and jumper settings?
Cheers,
Grezza.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:41 14 Sep 04

I would suggest you put the hdd on it's own cable, and set to master, and run the 2 dvd drives together on another cable. Set the dvd drive you intend to use most often, and to install programs from, as the master.

Bris 21:16 14 Sep 04

The fact that you have your present DVD drive on the same cable as your HDD means that you must be suffering some speed degredation as the channel will be running at the speed of the slowest device i.e. the DVD drive. As suggested get hold of another 80 core IDE cable with two drive connectors and attach this to the secondary IDE channel on the motherboard, set the jumpers on the existing DVD to master and the second DVD drive to slave and plug them into the new cable. This will leave your HDD on the primary IDE channel alone which should give your pc a speed boost. Finally make sure you have your BIOS set to "autodetect"

Sparky3327 21:51 14 Sep 04

Thanks for your help, I'll give it all a go.
G.

SEASHANTY 14:49 15 Sep 04

How to install a front loading drive
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now