Installing dvd burner

wesparmalee 20:59 22 Oct 05

I've just installed a new dvd burner,and i was wondering which way would be the best configuration.I've looked on the net,and there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice regarding the best option.I don't know if the burner should be set to master or slave,or how to optimize the hardrive also.Is there an ideal way of setting this up.I also have a regular cdrw drive installed.Thanks.

AndySD 21:02 22 Oct 05

The DVD should go in the same IDE cable as the CD-RW.

The CD-RW as Slave and the DVD as Master.

phizzle 21:03 22 Oct 05

i think you should choose the faster drive to be master and the slower drive to be slave.

Or Make the dvd burner slave if you got another dvd drive.

wesparmalee 21:14 22 Oct 05

I've looked at the IDE ribbon cables,and each cable has two connections,one labelled slave,the other master.If i put the slave connection onto a drive that i've already set as master using the little plastic push on that fits to the back of the drive,does this make it master regardless of what it says on the ribbon cable.

AndySD 21:21 22 Oct 05

No

You will need set the Jumpers on the Drives to CS (cable select)

wesparmalee 21:30 22 Oct 05

The reason i ask about this configuration,is the way the IDE ribbons are set up,it makes it hard to arrange the drives as i would like them.I have my normal cdrw drive in the top bay set to master,and the dvd drive below it set to slave.The problem is that the IDE ribbon has the slave connection lower down,so to switch them is pretty impossible.This is why i wanted to by pass what was written on the cable by setting the dvd drive to master.Hope this makes sense.I know i could simply switch the drives around,but because of the design of my pc case,there are no screw holes in the right position to fit the dvd drive in the top bay without it moving around.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 22 Oct 05

If i put the slave connection onto a drive that i've already set as master using the little plastic push on that fits to the back of the drive,does this make it master regardless of what it says on the ribbon cable.

No you'll be lucky if the drives work!

Fit them the way you want in the case and set the jumpers acording to the IDE cable position.

but when you burn select a slower than max spee for the DVDRW.

In device manager check the properties of each device including HDD and see if it is using DMA.

wesparmalee 22:27 22 Oct 05

Ok will try this,thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…