installing drivers

rossol 14:00 07 Feb 05

i just bought a router and installed pc card in my laptop and in my computor put in a desk top network pci card but it would not install the drivers ,XP HOME must have installed their drives it suppose to be working, all the connects are in the right place but it not working,BT broadband with whom i had the previous conection say i should ring PC WORLD where i got the hardware from after being on the phone (on hold) for about 50 mins and having to rang 3 different numbers then giving a fourth at a £1.00 per min for the max of 20 mins which i did not call.I opened the disc up and the only set up programme said i have not got a LAN BOARD on my system.can any one help to install the drivers

JIM 14:21 07 Feb 05

Has your network pci card has been installed correctly in a PCI Slot that is not shared with any other hardware. Was recognized by windows as new found hardware when you rebooted system ?

Pci card may show up in device manager as a ok if all is well with the fitting and winxp has selected its own drivers for it.

What will not be reported with a PCI network card is any conflict or sharing with other poss hardware. Sharing with a Host controller likes of via or promise would not matter as this is basicly software.

To check open up Systems information tool click on the + by hardware then click on IRQ'S

JIM 14:21 07 Feb 05

Has your network pci card has been installed correctly in a PCI Slot that is not shared with any other hardware. Was recognized by windows as new found hardware when you rebooted system ?

Pci card may show up in device manager as a ok if all is well with the fitting and winxp has selected its own drivers for it.

What will not be reported with a PCI network card is any conflict or sharing with other poss hardware. Sharing with a Host controller likes of via or promise would not matter as this is basicly software.

To check open up Systems information tool click on the + by hardware then click on IRQ'S

JIM 14:24 07 Feb 05

"Sorry do not no what happened ,as i was still typing."

To check open up Systems information tool click on the + by hardware then click on IRQ'S and look to see your PCI card and check for it nor sharing with others.If all is well install your drivers that were supplied via the divice manager.

rossol 14:40 07 Feb 05

in device manager/ under network adapters is
bt voyager adsl modem (which was my broadband)
Realtek RTL8139 FAMILY pci Fast Ethernet NIC#2
(which is my new network card)

JIM 15:44 07 Feb 05

Realtek RTL8139 (which is your new network card)
good. BT voyager adsl modem showing in adapter list with Realtek card adapter is normal.That's USB.

So presume your PCI Realtek fitted ok and xp drivers are installed auto like and there is no conflicts showing.eg ? marks or exclamation marks coloured in device manager. So next!!

Check,

Your Realtek card "is showing" in network connections in the control panel.- - - ? Also if that be the case,

What i would like you to check for next is that there is no Sharing of "IRQ'S" resources with your Realtek network card.So do the following.

go to "start" then all programs, then to accessories, and then to systems tools.Click and open up the systems information window.

Click on the + open Hardware Resources and then down to IRQ'S .Click on the IRQ'S to open so you then see a list of numbers on the left with IRQ numbers 1 to poss - - IRQ 21.

In that list of numbers on the left,look for your
Realtek card on the righthand-side and take note of the IRQ Number on the left.

Look at the numbers on the left again and see if same number listed for the IRQ Realtek is also being used by other hardware or anything else.

EG.Your Realtek RTL8139 earthenet card may have IRQ of 16 and an other device may also be USING the same IRQ 16 = a poss conflict.

--------------------------------------------------
If all is well,to update your drivers for the Realtek RTL8139 card Go to device manager,and right hand click on the Realtek card listed and select update driver from list of specific locations (advanced). Make sure you insert the CD/ with the Realtek drivers on and direct to your cd rom drive for the instal of drivers.

I would have thought the drivers installed by Winxp would be ok? Do the checks for poss IRQ'S conflicts or you may be wasting your efforts first.

rossol 16:03 07 Feb 05

IRQ 19 Realtek RTL8139 card
IRQ 19 UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLL 2442 ?????
Both on the same one how do i take one off

rossol 16:17 07 Feb 05

universal host control 2442 is also on irq 23 there is no irq 20 21 22

JIM 16:23 07 Feb 05

universal host control no problem at all,not hardware no conflict with that got to be something different.

Repeat :)

NO need to change any thing with fittng of your Realtek RTL8139 card IRQ

my tea time soon ,will look back.

JIM 16:34 07 Feb 05

Could you lay out exactly what is your network and systems setups are.

Your router, name, (wired etc),your system you are networking to OS and connection to it ETC.+

How you setup your network so far.Give us some detail in words.

If you have no success with driver update, or you still cannot install driver say so OK.

rossol 17:03 07 Feb 05

i have a Intel(r)pentium(r)4 cpu 1.70ghz 512 ram
my lap top novatech intel (r) celeron(r) cpu 2.80ghz 448 mb ram. Both, XPhome with sp2
laptop has sitecom wireless network pc card 100 g+
desk top Belkin ethernet desktop network pci card
router is eTec wireless ADSL
Have updated drivers with disc in but says best drivers already installed
tried for along time to install drives from disc did not reliese that xp was installing it own
set router up then lap top as instructed
lights and icons came on laptop saying it could pick up signal but could not go on line
light on router were on and working
but was not going on line
i rang bt broadband but was informed that i would have to upload the drivers from disc plus the manual
in the disc only setup i was informed my system did not LAN board ?
so sent e-mail to belkin but still waiting for reply

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…