Installing drivers

hoverman 19:24 30 Mar 04

Several weeks ago my PC manufacturer e-mailed me detailed instuctions of how to perform a clean install of Windows XP Home. The last bit of this reads: "When you are back at your desktop it would be best to give technical support a call for help installing the drivers in the correct order to give you the full functionality of you system."

As yet I have not yet done a re-install, but does it really matter in what order the various drivers are installed?

Graham ® 19:49 30 Mar 04

I'll jump in and say no!

powerless 19:51 30 Mar 04

Well not really but I [habbit]

Install mobo drivers first.

My theory (and it is just that) is that you should install the drivers in the order of most importance. For example, Motherboard drivers (as Powerless), then Graphics, any Raid or SATA (if not loading onto SATA in which case this will be done during windows install) and all other peripherals according to what you have and how "important" they are. Once all drivers are installed I run windows update (or use the new update CD ;-)) and then take a Ghost image before loading on programs. Programs on and another Ghost image then data with a final image of the "finished" install. The system is run for a week or so and the first Ghost image deleted when all is OK.

Any problems thereafter and reinstall is done in about 30 mins.

hoverman 20:13 30 Mar 04

I did not think of the mobo drivers. Before giving my previous PC to my son, I did a re-install of Windows XP to give him a fresh start. I did not install any mobo drivers and the system worked fine afterwards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…