Installing driver for Savage 4 graphics card

Ysbyddaden 18:50 08 Jun 03

Hi,

not surprisingly,I have a problem and need help:

I had a pc built for me by someone I'm no longer in contact with - brief spec is
667 MHz Celeron processor
524 MB RAM (I added some)
2 x 10GB HDD (I added one)
CD ROM & rewriter
Savage 4 /S3 graphics card
Windows 98 SE
Viglen 15 inch CRT monitor (2nd hand)
It worked fine for two years until a few days ago when I tried to upgrade from Windows 98 to 98SE but kept failing (CD problem) and so I added the second HDD to start afresh.
Next time it was fine (another disc) with only 1 problem - I can't get the graphics card to work properly - every time I try to upgrade from 16 colours and minimum resolution the pc hangs on rebooting and I have to go to Safe mode to restore the minimum settings.
I have an Installer CD (Ver. 1.1) for Savage4/S3 and downloaded a new driver from their site yesterday (V 8.20.31). That installed over the standard Windows driver ok but made no difference.
What am I missing?(yes, I am a novice!).
Please help - the hardware hasn't really changed and the graphics were excellent before I "upgraded".
thanks
Eifion

Ysbyddaden 12:34 26 Jun 03

I thought I'd better close this out.
There is a solution - I called in a computer expert (shame) who prescribed the following:
upgrade to Windows 2000.
And it worked!
Why do IT people always do this - if there's a nasty problem they simply bypass it with an operating system upgrade?
The technical reason why it worked,apparently, is that Windows 98SE is a "dog" and not able to find a suitable driver if it bit it in it's hard drive.
Whereas Windows 2000 is less so.
So now you know.
Ysbyddaden

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…