Installing A Dell Mouse onto another PC

kenwyn 09:40 07 Oct 04

I have an old Win 95PC (with USB ports), and a newer PC (Dell). The new optical mouse that came with the Dell is surplus to requirements,& I would like to install it on the older PC. But the installation disc that came with all the drivers etc. won't run on a non-Dell PC. I am sure that, since a mouse is a mouse is a mouse, there must be generic drivers available to get it to work. Any ideas?

JonnyTub 09:45 07 Oct 04

as far as i know 95 doesn't have support for usb. regardless of whether or not the board has them.

JonnyTub 09:45 07 Oct 04

try a usb to ps/2 adaptor?

TomJerry 09:47 07 Oct 04

just plug it in, no installation is needed.

But if your win95 is old original version, usb is not supported, so you cannot use it. You can get a PS/2 to usb adaptor to connect mouse via ps/2. Most usb mouses come with adaptor.

JonnyTub 09:48 07 Oct 04

Provided you are running Windows 95B (OSR2) or later, you can install the USB Supplement from your Microsoft CD-ROM. The file - USBSUPP.EXE - can be installed from the D:\Other\USB folder (where D is the driver letter of your CD-ROM drive).

I'll get me coat. :-)

hillybilly 09:48 07 Oct 04

Is it a USB mouse? quite frankly I don't think there was much success with USB and Win95 or Win98 first edition. I'm sure if you plug that mouse into Win98SE or anything later it will work.

Gongoozler 10:01 07 Oct 04

In my experience, if you try to use a USB mouse with Windows 95 or 98 and an old motherboard, then you will get a "no mouse detected" error when you boot up because the USB mouse drivers aren't present until Windows is loaded. A PS/2 mouse should work on any computer, all the driver disk usually dows is to add extra features. I think USB generally only really got working properly with Windows 98SE.

Smegs 11:07 07 Oct 04

I glad someone picked up the USB bit. I can't see any reference in kenwyn thread saying anything about a USB Mouse.

I have a Dell PC which I have had for nearly 2years, the mouse is a PS port.

Also, going back to kenwyn saying about Dell driver disks. I had a 64mb G/Card in my Dell, with Dell drivers. I replaced the 64mg with a 256md G/card. I installed the 64mb into a friends Pc(Not a Dell), and it works ok when I put the drivers on, from my Dell driver disk.

All I'm saying is, I think it's a myth, that Dell drivers don't work with other PC's.

TomJerry 11:15 07 Oct 04

If it is pas2 mouse, no driver is needed anyway.

hillybilly 11:28 07 Oct 04

Same here, I've always found that a compnent is a component and as long as you have the drivers they work! It don't matter brand name they print on the side. No disrect to Dell, but it would be interesting to know exactly which parts of the equipment the do actually manufacture? Not much I'll bet!

Smegs 12:37 07 Oct 04

kenwyn, sorry about this.

I don't think Dell do any parts themselfs. May be FE or someone will be able to put us right on this.

Kenwyn, have you been able to sort your problem out???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…