installing a cordless mouse

popgeorge 13:28 20 Aug 04

The OS system is XP home
I have received a free cordless mouse, and in spite of looking through all similar posts on the subject I am still confused as to the procedure I use to install it. This is the second mouse received as the first one was returned as suspected faulty. I have connected the latest model of the mouse to a port at the back of PC and assume it is a serial Com connection. , The receptor has a push panel on top and when activated the Green LED flashed on and off. The mouse base was probed with no result. The software for the PS/2 USB mouse had been un-installed, but the replacement mouse could not be detected. the batteries are connected to the mouse and are the right polarity
The only info I have on the mouse is that it is Cordless Mouse and LIST, apart from its serial number no Manufactures name. No software supplied
Any clues please or is it a dustbin job?

Stuartli 14:04 20 Aug 04

XP should automatically use an MS mouse driver when you connect it.

Do you also have a wireless keyboard?

If so you will have to set different channels for the mouse and the keyboard i.e. 1 for the mouse and 2 for the keyboard or vice versa and match them on the receiver's settings.

popgeorge 15:25 20 Aug 04

Hi- Stuartli
The present set up is that a mouse and its lead is plugged into a keyboard, and this is plugged into a USB connection. I have been told that the cordless mouse should only need to be connected for windows to find a suitable driver, but this has proved not to be the case.
If as you say it will need a separate channel, excuse my lack of knowledge but I would be grateful if you could guide me through the process .

popgeorge 15:28 20 Aug 04

Hi- Stuartli
The present set up is that a mouse and its lead is plugged into a keyboard, and this is plugged into a USB connection. I have been told that the cordless mouse should only need to be connected for windows to find a suitable driver, but this has proved not to be the case.
If as you say it will need a separate channel, excuse my lack of knowledge but I would be grateful if you could guide me through the process .

popgeorge 15:28 20 Aug 04

Hi- Stuartli

€dstowe 15:35 20 Aug 04

Did you connect up to the serial port while the computer was live?

Doing this can cause problems on the motherboard resulting in burnout of that particular port. If the LED just flashed on then off and then the whole thing is dead, this may well be what has happened.

The rule is only hotplug (live connect) USB, Firewire and audio connections. All others should be made while the machine is powered down.

popgeorge 17:17 20 Aug 04

Many thanks for your interest.
I feel that it could be a reason for the failure although as the ports can only be accessed when the computer has been turned round I wouldn't have done this without closing down for fear of damaging the disks. Saying that I might have pulled out the connection live when I found there was a problem .
Next to the mouse port is a keyboard socket, same pin format. Is it possible to plug the mouse into this port without causing further damage? (bearing in mind your sound advise)

€dstowe 18:18 20 Aug 04

No, the keyboard and mouse sockets are not interchangeable.

Personally, I wouldn't continue with this. I've always found that cordless rodents (and keyboards) are a bigger nuisance than useful.

popgeorge 19:05 20 Aug 04

Edstowe.

I feel your advise is sound, that's probable why I received a free mouse in the first place.
Many thanks for your help, I will now close the subject.

Sans le Sou 19:16 20 Aug 04

When installing a cordless mouse assuming the thing is connected to the right socket, try pressing the reciever connect button, wait 20 seconds and then press the mouse connect button. Have you got a pointer on screen that will not move with the mouse motion?

popgeorge 07:33 21 Aug 04

Sans le Sou

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…