Installing and configuring Apache

Handy Spinner 16:26 28 Jul 04

I've decided to take the plunge and start using Apache instead of PWS. I have a Win 98 SE computer, and have downloaded the .msi 2.0 HTTP Server setup file. I'm having some trouble with configuring it though - what should I put in the "network domain" and "server name" boxes? Putting localhost and my workgroup name doesn't seem to work.

Gaz 25 22:33 28 Jul 04

Do you want your server to be public?

If so, there are some points.

You need DNS server

You have serious security implications

+ Much more.

Read the other posts on this and you will get an insight.

Taran 23:11 28 Jul 04

Unless you have some real reason to want to manually configure your own server, I'd suggest you give some thought to one of the excellent packages available that install a preconfigured Apache server along with MySQL and PHP onto your PC in one fell swoop.

The best I've yet seen so far is from:

click here

Note that this is intended for Windows 2000 or XP, so will not necessarily be your best choice.

In fact on that note, if you upgraded your computer operating system to Windows 2000 or XP Professional you would get a much better personal web server called IIS (Internet Information Services) which can also be used with PHP if you want to install it.

There is a pretty good package available click here called XAMPP, and my own favourite for Windows 98/ME is called PHPDev, available either from the developers home page click here or from Sourceforge click here

Keep in mind that nobody in their right mind should attempt to run an outward facing web server on Windows 9x, but you can run a testing server to test your own dynamic web pages.

Finally, there are a couple of good tutorials to walk you through manually installing and configuring Apache, MySQL and PHP on Windows: click here and in particular these two click here and click here

Good luck with it.

Taran 23:15 28 Jul 04

I should have mentioned that you should completely remove Personal Web Server from your PC or you will have to manually configure Apache to listen on an alternative port to its default.

PWS, like Apache, listens on port 80 and if you want to run two web servers you have to set one up for a different port to the other. I normally set up Apache to run on port 8080 which means I can still run IIS (PWS in your case) allowing me to keep IIS for ASP and Access website testing while using Apache for my PHP and MySQL work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…