Installing BT Broadband Software

Gorillaz 20:32 01 Apr 05

I have signed up for BT broadband and I do not want to install the software package they use for installation as it seems as though they brand all the services you are going to use. I have got the BT voyager 205 router, how can I set up a connection for the internet and email without using the supplied software? I will also be using the router to connect my laptop to the net, it is not nebtioned in the BT manual do I have to install the software (if I have to) on my laptop as well?

woodchip 20:42 01 Apr 05

And I will have the same problem when I setup my BT NTL BB service

Irishman 20:49 01 Apr 05

You should be able to get into the Voyager set up page by typing click here or similar. It should tell you how in the manual. Once in there it's pretty straightforward. Type in your username and password and you should be online. You may need to visit the BT page while you're still on dialup to get the exact set up details for your modem.

As for the laptop, you'll need to set up a network, either wired or wireless.

Irishman 20:51 01 Apr 05

The "click here" does not go anywhere! It should read http :// 192. 168 .0 .1 without the spaces.

Paranoid Android 20:52 01 Apr 05

Run the CD and it will install everything. However, the various options are all removable via Add/Remove Programs, so you can remove most of the guff leaving behind only the essentials. I have left just the base components and customisations (eg IE toolbars) but you can even get rid of those.

BTW the 205 router has a built-in firewall, but it's not enabled by default. To find out how to enable it, click here

It works a treat.

Marvin

Irishman 20:56 01 Apr 05

click here

If you use the ethernet connection as opposed to USB there is no software to install anyway.

Paranoid Android 20:56 01 Apr 05

Oh - second part of question - my router is connected to my network switch. All machines on the network can share the connection (not just 2 machines as shown in the BT blurb). However each machine needs to be set up as above.

Marvin

woodchip 21:05 01 Apr 05

If you have a Router you do not need to network, each computer can connect without the others being switched on. the computer have to be connected direct to router not other computers

Gorillaz 21:37 01 Apr 05

Thanks everyone, I have one more question. I am using Outlook XP for email as I have also changed ISP I will need to set up a new email account. Does anyone know the incoming mail server (pop3) and outgoing mail server (SMPT) details to enter for BT, with demon they were pop3.demon.co.uk and post.demon.co.uk

Number 7 21:50 01 Apr 05

The BT mail servers are mail.btineternet.com for both incoming (POP3) and outgoing(SMTP).

Whether you can use the outgoing, will depend upon the package you've decided on from BT.

Paranoid Android 22:45 01 Apr 05

For only 2 machines, woodchip's comment is correct. This router has a single RJ45 socket and a single USB socket, meaning that up to 2 machines can connect to it without additional hardware. For more machines to be connected, it has to be connected to a network switch or hub.

If you decide to use the BT setup CD it will set up the email for you as well. If you do it yourself, you will need to select the tickbox for Server Authentication.

Marvin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…