Installing on board sound

Legolas 13:47 03 Dec 03

I am having trouble installing the on board sound for a PC chips m/b click here I have been to the c-media site and d/loaded the latest drivers still no joy ant one any ideas.

Legolas 13:48 03 Dec 03

Sorry the OS is Win XP Pro.

smegs 13:51 03 Dec 03

Have U got the Mother board disk? Also check in the BIOS that on board sound in enabled.

sil_ver 13:52 03 Dec 03

Have you enabled onboard sound in BIOS? another easy mistake to make is connecting your speaker to the wrong socket also check in device manager for errors

xania 13:52 03 Dec 03

Have you run the mobo CD? You will need to install all the approrpiate drivers from there.

Legolas 13:57 03 Dec 03

Thanks for the replies I have done all of the above and still getting nothing.

smegs 14:06 03 Dec 03

Have U got any YELLOW ? or ! in Device Manager??

I am sure you have thought of it, but in case not - have you connected the audio lead from the CD Drive to the Mobo.

Legolas 14:53 03 Dec 03

Thanks for all the replies, the problem was I had removed two jumpers from the front panel audio pins on the m/b and incorrectly fitted the cables for the front panel audio jack on the case, this had the effect of disabling the sound for the whole system, once I had correctly fitted the cables both front and rear audio jack connections now working. Thanks again for your replies.

Stuartli 15:05 03 Dec 03

If you've got the 8738 C-Media chipset you'll be impressed by the sound quality, especially with good speakers - if you have the even more advanced 9738 chipset even better.

Until my son gave me a SoundBlaster Live! soundcard a few weeks ago, I lived very happily with the onboard 8738's remarkably clear and transparent output on all types of music.

In fact I've not noticed all that much difference with the Creative except a little more "body" to the bass.

Considering that the 8738 can cost less than a five in PCI form it's an amazing achievement.

The Hercules Fortissimo 7.1 is a more advanced type soundcard as the 8738 and is claimed to be even better than the C-Media chipset.

Unfortunately the Hercules Fortissimo I bought in PC World at Aintree on the clearance counter kept bringing up the message, after installing the drivers, that I needed a Hercules soundcard to be able to use them when I installed the card itself...:-(

Legolas 16:25 03 Dec 03

Stuartli it is the 9738 chipset that I have on my system and on the system I had the problem with above and the sound has always sounded ok to me although to be honest I rarely listen to music through my computer so the quality of sound isn't really high on my list but it certainly does all I need it to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…