installing BB for an existing a/c on new PC

Diemmess 14:13 07 Jul 05

Dreaded this point......... Building a new PC for adult son who had been "making do". There was no trouble until I tried to install his Wanadoo a/c as a last stage before he returns to his home at the weekend.

Used to the "mothering" of Aol I badly need a stage by stage list of things to do.......... I know his username, a/c name, and passord .......... The ConexantAccessRunner ADSL USB WAN adapter, is not the same as supplied by the Wanadoo, but works perfectly well for his old computer.

1. Do I install the modem first using its CD for drivers? At what stage do I connect the USB?

2. What to do next? So far I have always appeared to be heading for Microsoft or dial-up connection?

Finally I have the feeling that I have the "modem" connected (its LED gives a steady light), but can't seem to be able to set up the account with the wanadoo ISP. Usually a connection not found error.

Fingees 14:25 07 Jul 05

Run CD install first. before connecting USB.

The instructions are on the CD if you "Explore " the cd first, before you let it self install.

If you connect USB first, you will have problems, and have to start again.

All the best

Fingees 14:25 07 Jul 05

Run CD install first. before connecting USB.

The instructions are on the CD if you "Explore " the cd first, before you let it self install.

If you connect USB first, you will have problems, and have to start again.

All the best

leo49 15:20 07 Jul 05

Once you've installed the actual modem software, you then need to go into Internet options via Control Panel and tell IE how to access the Internet by entering details into Connections/Settings.

Stuartli 15:50 07 Jul 05

Create the account first using the DUN wizard (make sure you use ADSL rather than dialup modem) in the normal way, including the account details and contact number (0,38 in my case).

You can then install the modem drivers and check that you can use the account in the usual fashion.

Tiscali's installation routine includes the Internet ADSL "dialup" box in which you enter your username and password (if not remembered) or, which I prefer, the connection being made automatically when opening Firefox or Thunderbird (probably works with IE/OE as well).

In both cases there is a Desktop icon to use manually if desired.

Diemmess 17:15 07 Jul 05

Problem solved, after another round trip to the home site. though I can't swear just how it worked.

The advice from all of you (Fingees Twice!)helped stir the diminishing gray cells ..... Also really really reading the manual was helpful once I used a magnifying glass to interpret the 2pt font on this Chinese explanation!

These instructions were entirely different depending on whether the OS was ME or before,.... or 2000 (in my case) or XP.

Just to be different the method was (starting from virgin OS ---

Plug in the USB and cancel at the "found new hardware stage"....... Then run the drivers part of the CD including the username and password, and then click finish. Clicking next on IE and juggling a bit seemed to bring it to the point where it merely wanted a redeclaration of the password before a brief hesitancy saying I was not connected, it did connect and Lo - Wanadoo was available!

Thank you all for input, discussion really helped.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…