Installing AVG Antivirus free 7-5.

Meshuga 19:44 08 Feb 07

I have downloaded the upgrade AVG 7.5 to a flash pen and want to take it to my daughters and install it on her laptop in place of the 7.1 version. Do I need to uninstall the 7.1 first or will it install over the top. Is there anything else I need to know. Her OS is xp home and she is on AOL. She tried it herself but said it would not install. Many thanks.

Technotiger 19:48 08 Feb 07

Hi, it should install over 7.1. When I did mine I did not first uninstall the old version, but I cannot remember the exact sequence - I think it automatically uninstalls the old version.

skidzy 19:51 08 Feb 07

Always best to uninstall and cleanup with something like ccleaner then reboot.Then install the new version.

In saying that,i believe i just installed the new version and was prompted to uninstall the old version.The new version done that for me and to date no problems.....

Meshuga 19:52 08 Feb 07

Thanks Technotiger.

cocteau48 19:52 08 Feb 07

Pretty sure you are right about that technotiger.

Meshuga 19:53 08 Feb 07

Thanks skidzy.

Meshuga 19:55 08 Feb 07

Thanks cocteau48.

Totally-braindead 22:26 08 Feb 07

It is recommended you install over the top first BUT there can be a problem in a minority of case with this.
If you do an upgrade over the top you MUST check that AVG is still scanning the email messages.
In a minority of cases it fails to start and if that happens then the recommendation is to delete AVG and do a clean install. But they do recommend installing over the top first.
There are details of this on the AVG Forum if you are interested.
One of my friends PCs did fail to scan emails, an old PC using Win98 - don't know if this has anything to do with it - anyway, deleted it and installed from scratch and worked perfectly second time around.

Meshuga 08:04 09 Feb 07

Thank you Totally-braindead.

jaritch 08:55 09 Feb 07

I have updates AVG on numerous computers with no problems. Select the repair option during the set up.

birdface 09:55 09 Feb 07

Hi,Dont know if its an upgrade or what,Big download to-day,7.5.441 so dont know if it is a new version or same as old one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…