Installing ADSL modem

Munchkin 19:29 25 May 09

I am trying to install a sagem [email protected] 800-840 modem on a laptop running Vista. I have downloaded the driver from the internet. On the installation process I am faced with selecting a "driver type". How do I know what to choose from the list provided. I have another laptop running Vista on which I installed the modem over a year ago without any problems. Is there anywhere on it I can check to see the "driver type" ? When I proceed with the installation by selecting the choice of driver at the top of the list the installation completes with success. But when I try to log onto the internet with my ISP username and password I get an error code thrown back at me ! Can anybody throw any light on my problem?

brundle 19:43 25 May 09

click here might help

Stuartli 23:22 25 May 09

As I pointed out in the thread that brundle has provided, you should select:

PPPoA VCMUX 0/38

(0 and 38 are the VPI and VCI (or vice-versa) for the UK broadband services and Point-to-Point Protocol over Asynchronous Transfer Mode i.e. PPPoA is also the required standard).

Stuartli 23:24 25 May 09

Your ISP may be listed in the installation setup (you might have to scroll down to find it).

The Sagem installation also, IIRC, also appear to first Uninstall the drivers before going on to Install them.

Only connect the modem when requested to do so.

woodchip 23:51 25 May 09

Best way is plug the modem in then when windows Install Wizard pops up pointy it to the folder drive with the drivers in it. then press enter

woodchip 23:52 25 May 09

PS also look in Device Manager for any yellow icons if you see one for the modem click update driver for it then point it to the drivers or let windows check for drivers

phono 00:17 26 May 09

"Best way is plug the modem in then when windows Install Wizard pops up pointy it to the folder drive with the drivers in it."

Not recommended, the ISP's software and drivers should be installed first and the modem only plugged in when the installation requests it, see Stuartli's last post.

Plugging the modem in first can lead to all sorts of complications with "ghost" USB devices being installed and preventing proper installation of the modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009