Installing Additional Printer Drivers on a Network

thegreypanther 08:43 12 Apr 07

I'm goig mental trying to get two Windows XP computers to share the same printer that is installed on my Windows Vista (64-bit) PC.
The priter I use is an Epson D88+.The Vsta 64-bit drivers and sotware in correctly instaled on the Vista PC.
However, to add another printer driver my route at the moment is to either a) use the Windows XP disc that was originally suppled with the printer, or b) dowload a driver from the Epson website.
In the latter case this comes as an EXE file, which unpacks to provide a load of other files.
However, the wireless networking routine only seems to be lookin for an INF file.
And, o cours, I can't install a Wndows XP printer on a Windows Vista 64-bit PC.
WHERE do I find this INF file?
Is there anywhere a set of clear instructions that will guide a bumbling idiot such as me to set up this printer on a wireless network?

recap 09:23 13 Apr 07

Place the Printer CD in the drive, do a search of the CD for INF. There will be more than one English INF file on the CD. Which your network requires I do not know sorry.

thegreypanther 23:34 13 Apr 07

Thanks for the suggestion "recap", but this draws a blank.
When invited to add additional drivers, the options are then given to install for either
1) Itanium Processor
or
2) x86 Processor
(whatever "Itanium" or "x86" refer to I have no idea).
From the disc for my Epson D88+ printer, there are 2 *INF files in the English / WINXP_20 folder.

Neither of these 2 *INF files are found to be suitable for the above two processor types.

The 2 other PCs in the network are bog standard Windows XP PCs.

So, I remain up a gum tree.
Any advice will be most gladly taken.

draneco 14:05 13 Jan 08

Same problem with except printer is Dell AIO A960 and I ran out of things to try.

recap 15:56 16 Jan 08

In addition to my PM to you draneco click here for further information.

T0SH 19:13 16 Jan 08

Why don`t you install the XP version printer drivers to each of the XP machines as a local printer (there is no need to actually have the printer connected to do this)once this is done reboot then add printer then choose "add a network printer or a printer attached to another computer" then "browse for a printer" browse your network until you fine the machine with the shared printer connected to it, choose the printer and click next , when the wizard there is no suitable driver choose to manual install the printer drivers from a list a window will pop up in the upper left unticking the box that says "show compatible hardware" will get you to a list of printer makers select yours in the left hand pane next scroll to the bottom of the list in the right pane you will see your printer select it and click next to install the driver lastly print a test page on each of your XP machines

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5