Installing ADAPTEC USB2 Connect 6-port 2.0 Card

Henmin 20:51 10 Nov 03

Hi folks,

here I am again. Problems installing the above. Putting the USB Card into the PCI slot is easy. But after I've installed the software and restated my computer the trouble starts. A little oval window appears. click it and it tells me that the the USB 2 is not optimised properly and not working properly. It comes up also with a window like a family tree showing my Iomega Zip. I take the options to optimise then restart. It reboots to the position where the Welcome Window apperas where you have to type in a password Or click Cancel. No matter which I click it freezes my computer. Each time I restart that happens.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled several time. HELP! HELP!! Please!!!

Henmin 20:59 10 Nov 03

Hi Folks,

Forgot to add that the IRQS are confused 9/10/11 are duplicated and Triplicated.

Henmin

A_World_Maker 21:16 10 Nov 03

hmmm... the old limitations come back to haunt us all... Interupts...

Have you selected the correct USB version in your BIOS (assuming your mobo/Bios can support it, always select version 2.0 as this is backwardly compatible).

Try physically unplugging the USB devices and restarting windows in safe mode. Check your devices in the control panel (Systems... Hardware... Device Manager) to see if any of the ports have either yellow exclaimation or red crosses against them. If so uninstall the software for your devices and add them back one at a time, until you find the offending one, then try an upgrade for that particular device, install the softeware 1st, before plugging in the device.

Henmin 21:30 10 Nov 03

A_World_Maker,

Have you selected the correct USB version in your BIOS (assuming your mobo/Bios can support it, always select version 2.0 as this is backwardly compatible). - Sorry! I don't understand this. How do I get to the BIOS and how can I know if my motherboard can support it.

Shall try the rest

Henmin

A_World_Maker 21:47 10 Nov 03

when your computer boots up and you see white writing on a black screen, this may pass quite quickly depending on your machines speed... press the Delete key... a few secounds later, you will have the Bios menu... depending on your BIOS/Motherboard combination, will depend on what menus you will have available. Becareful what you change in these menus!! The one you are looking for contains 'Peripherals' this would have COMS.. LPRT and USB variables. Under the USB, check which version it is showing. If you have a choice, you should be able to flick through any options, using the Page Up and Page Down keys to select (hopefully) version 2.0 / 1.1, if this is already showing, then that eliminates that as the problem. If you did change it, press Esc key to return to the manin menu, then select 'Save and Exit', press 'Y' at the next dialogue box and the computer will reboot.

A_World_Maker 21:52 10 Nov 03

BTW, having reread your initial posting, did you install the software AFTER the hardware?

This may work, and should help anyone installing a USB device, always install the software before the hardware. That way when Windows recognises the hardware on boot up, it will load up the correct drivers for it, and not generic ones.

Try uninstalling the software, switch off the computer, take out the hardware, reinstall the software in windows, switch off again and reinstall the hardware, boot into windows and see if it picks up the correct drivers. Check in the Device Managers section and see if all is well before trying the hardware.

DieSse 22:41 10 Nov 03

Go into the BIOS - go to the page that covers PCI/PNP configuration.

Make sure the PNP OS installed is set to Enabled

Set the Reset Configuration to Enabled (it will automatically set itself back to disabled after the next rebbot) - then store settings and exit.

When the system reboots it will then scan all the cards and redo all the IRQ settings for your new configuration.

Then see if it works.

NOTE not all BIOS's have identical wording in these areas, but the above should enable you to find the correct settings to change.

DieSse 22:43 10 Nov 03

PS - the motherboard BIOS doesn't need to "support" USB2 for an add on card - the card contains all the required logic for it.

Henmin 09:43 11 Nov 03

A_World_Maker, DieSse,

WOW! Thanks a lot. I bought this Card too from QVC TV Shopping Channel. They tell/show you how easy it is to click the Card into the PCI Slot. However, they don't tell what problems may pop up.

Henmin

Henmin 17:14 11 Nov 03

A_World_Maker& DieSse,

Got it working. But something funny happens. Hooked up my USB2 Lexmark printer and got printing. Great! But, I can't afford to turn off my computer. If I do, then the same problems arise. My computer boots upto the Welcome Window, and freezes there. I then have to use the On or Restart button to reboot again in SAFE MODE. I then have to go into Device Manager and remove the extra Nec USB Open Host Controllers - two three and USB Root Hubs - two or three. Then I have to restart my computer when the NEW HARDWARE window appears telling me that there is An Unknown Device/USB Hub/NEC USB Open Host/USB Controller Card and is findings Drivers

The computer boots up fully from here and a window for the New USB2 Card appears showing me all the items connected to USB Connections including USB1.1. I click and then this Tree appears showing me the items. and telling me that the system is performance optimised, with a Tick

Any idea why this is happening, please.

Henmin

A_World_Maker 18:29 12 Nov 03

Windows is funny how it handles USB and their drivers.... I wouls uggest that you uninstall all your USB device software, turn off your computer, disconnect/unplug all your USB devices.

Restart your machine and check that nothing has been left. Now install (one at a time) each USB device's Software, only, untill you have installed the lot.

Switch off you machine again, this time install one device and restart to windows. You should then check eachtime that windows loads the device drivers, and check in the Device Manager that the USB device is okay. Do this for each USB device you have, until they are all installed. Should the proceedure fail at anytime, skip that device, uninstall its software, and continue to the next device. If the next device fails as well, then it maybe you have reached your limit!

Its a long drawn out proceedure, but it eliminates each device as being a culprit.

Don't forget to wear an anti-static wristband when handling devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…