Installing '98 SE on laptop?

faintly curious 16:47 01 Sep 03

Hi All

I've just acquired a Dell laptop with swappable floppy/CD-ROM drives, and no operating system. The question is, how on earth do I install one? I've tried booting directly from the CD (won't work). I've booted from a floppy disc, but when I try to load CD-ROM drivers or start setup, this won't work because a CD drive is not detected. Does anyone know how to get around this?

spikeychris 16:50 01 Sep 03

Did you choose "with CD-ROM support"?

spikeychris 16:54 01 Sep 03

"I've tried booting directly from the CD (won't work)" have you set the BIOS to boot from CD?

When you say you've tried booting from CD, did you make changes within the BIOS to boot from CD.
I seem to remember my son's Panasonic laptop has that option.

xania 17:04 01 Sep 03

I've come across this before - most of our corporates were mirrored an, I suspect, this was how yours was used previously. I have a thought. Boot from a Windows 98 bootable floppy then (so that you also copy the CD drivers), at the a: prompt type

sys c:
Now copy all the remainder of the floppy to the root of the C:\drive.

You should now be able to replace your floppy with the CD and reboot to install Windows (but first reformat C:\ so that WIndows can install a clean system.

If this does not work, I suspect you will need to install either and external floppy or an external CD before you can proceed.

faintly curious 17:58 01 Sep 03

Thanks all - yes I did change the BIOS settings - it's the Windows disc which won't allow the system to boot. I took Xania's advice and copied the system files to the C drive, and I now have access to a C prompt and have copied the CD drivers but I'm still having difficulty in loading the drivers correctly to get the system to recognise the drive.

Diemmess 18:11 01 Sep 03

Daring to jump in........ Did you copy W98 to a new directory on C:?

If you didn't, delete all that you have put on C: and make a new folder first ( C\Win98 ).

Then copy all W98 files to this new folder....... Now you can move to the c\Win98 prompt and type setup

faintly curious 18:15 01 Sep 03

Xania's solution did the trick! The first time I tried I didn't copy all the files required to the C drive, but after 'sys'ing drive C, then copying all the other files from my boot disk I managed to bring up the options that the boot disc normally gives without needing the floppy drive in place. Attached the CD-ROM drive and now we're up and running!

Thanks all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…