installing a 3rd cd/dvd drive

winstonwolf 13:50 02 Jun 04

Hi , I have a dvd rom and a dvd r/w installed, i want to also install my old 48 speed cd/rw , i have spare power cables but all the ide cables have been used , 2 on the dvd's and 2 on the 2 hard drives i have. on my motherboard (asus a7v333 Raid) there are primary and secondary ide sockets , both of which have been used and 2 others called promise primary and secondary. How can i install the cd/rw ? thanks

hugh-265156 14:03 02 Jun 04

you will need to purchase an ide pci card

Rogerfredo 14:12 02 Jun 04

Is the third slot an IDE slot?
If so, you can probably use this for the CD drive. The "promise" refers to the controller chip manufacturer.
I have a "promise" PCI card with two additional IDE ports on it, and the MSI mainboard I have just bought has an optional third IDE "promise" controlled slot.

winstonwolf 14:16 02 Jun 04

i was told that the 2 "promise" slots have something to do with raid but i'm not sure what that is , and also i have a "g" drive showing as a AXV CD/DVD ROM SCSI CdRom Device but i only have 2 drives installed "E" and "F"

winstonwolf 14:29 02 Jun 04

can anyone give a link for the ide pci card that i will need , thanks

SEASHANTY 14:53 02 Jun 04

Check this comparison link
click here

alan227 15:12 02 Jun 04

click here
Just taken delievery of one of these £15.00 including delievery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…