Installing 2nd hard drive

Johny C 22:42 15 Jul 03

I have bought a 2nd hard drive and was wondering which way is the best to fit it.

Can i simply install it as a slave to my master and format it that way, i know i have to detect it in the bios, then is it format it in dos or can i do it in windows?

If i have to do it in Dos how do i know which drive letter it has been asigned?

Many thanks

John

TBH1 23:15 15 Jul 03

Johny C - - -this is an absolute piece of cake mate - - -- have done it myself with guides from this forum but here comes the rub, can't remember what order what was done, when !!! ( what a prat I hear you say - - - well, say away !!). I stuck my 2nd hd as slave to primary, fortunately the cable was already there for this. Make sure jumbers on this new drive are set to slave. Will try and look up sequence for you my my own PC is working properly - - - -some idiot screwed up fixing 2nd hard drive - - - only joking mate.
My configuration is : -
60gb hard disc on primary/master
40gb hard disc on primary/slave
DVD-CD ROM secondery/master
CDRW on secondery/slave

sorry I'm a bit vague, problems of me own right now but if no further help comes from this thread, I will look up the stuff I had when I did mine

rickf 23:34 15 Jul 03

What OS are you using? If it is XP then it should be detected and should be active. If not go to Administrative Tools in Control panel and select computer management. Then diskmanagement and you will be shown the two drives. If the new slave is not active it will tell you so. You then just have to activate it and it will be ready for use.

daba 01:45 16 Jul 03

Your MoBo will have 2 IDE 'channel' connectors.

Each can have up to 2 IDE devices (HDs, CDs, CDRWs, DVDs etc etc) connected to it. That is why an IDE ribbon cable has 3 plugs. One for the MoBo, the other two for drives.

If you have, or want to have, 2 HDs and 2 CD drives or a combination of CD/DVD or CD/CDRW then personally I would cable them up so that I have the boot HD and 1 CD/DVD/CDRW on the primary IDE ribbon cable, and the other HD and CD/DVD/CDRW on the secondary IDE ribbon cable.

Unfortunately, the physical location of the drives lends itself to the HDs on one cable, CDs on the other, but some system speed benefit can be gained by connecting as above.

In particular, if the 2 HDs are on separate IDE channels, then reconfigure Windows to put the SwapFile (virtual memory) on the second HD, which would be on IDE channel 2. (Windows, on HD #1 must be on IDE channel 1 in order to be bootable).

I know its not easy to get them cables to stretch round each other, perhaps you might have to buy longer ones (more cable between the drive connectors).

Quiller. 07:03 16 Jul 03

Copied from one of my posts. This is to format in x\p

So if it is a bit weird in places, that's my editing. lol

This option will install the new drive as slave.

Please excuse me if a lot is simple, but i don't know you pc capability.

the first thing you will have to find out before you physically install the drive is to find what is being used on your Primary master \ slave and secondary master \ slave channels.

This can be achieved in three ways.

1) when you boot the computer up at the post screen you will find those settings listed, if it is to fast then press the pause\break key to freeze the page.

2) when you boot the computer up keep pressing the delete key to enter the bios. On the screen pick standard cmos settings and make a note of the settings for primary master \ slave, secondary master \ slave. Now while you are there and if your primary slave says none, change this to auto. Press esc and now pick save settings and exit, press y for this.

3) Is to take the case off. look for the IDE cable that is connected to the hard drive. Follow the ribbon cable towards the motherboard. Now if you are lucky there will be a wide connector slot. This will show that primary slave is available.

Ok that was long winded, but what we are trying to find is if your primary slave channel is available.

If you have tried option three above and have a spare connector then follow on from here.

Look at the new hard drive. In between the power in connector and the ribbon cable connector at the back you will see a row of pins, some will have little plastic jumpers on. If you look at the drive it will tell you the jumper settings for the drive. The usual and basic thing is to set the jumper to slave. They can be some complications to some drives like having a 32gig limit or having a setting of slave with master present, but these will be unusual nowadays.

If you have install the jumper to slave you can now physically install the drive into the machine. Look for a drive bay above the current hard drive and slot it in. If you can have a space between old drive and the new one then take it, for better air flow. Now attach the screws that will have come with the drive.

Now you can attach the cables.You already have the IDE ribbon cable, look for a spare power connector, there is usually one or two hanging around. Look at the old hard drive. You will see that the power cable and the IDE cable both have red wires, the IDE is very thin, these can now be connected.

When you are sure the connectors are the same as the old drive, you can put the case back on and boot up. Check the boot screen for primary slave to see it has been recognized. Boot fully to windows.

the above is long winded but usually takes 3-5mins.

Now to prepare the drive for windows. go to start and right click my computer. Pick manage and then disk management. A new window will appear on the right. Your new drive should be listed there. Go to the new drive and right click, pick format and follow the prompts.

This should get you new drive up and running as a slave drive.

To format in 98.

Boot to windows, open my computer and right click drive "D". Scroll to properties. It should say no bytes.

Right click the drive again and scroll to format. Click on this and pick full. It will warn you that this is a removable disk, proceed and then scandisk. Your new drive will now be ready.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…