Installin Pentium 3 processor

donaldcro 14:48 18 Apr 08

Can someone out ther kindly let me have chapter and verse as to how one installs the above processer please. I have a Toshiba 3300M Equium computer and my OS is Windows XP and I am currently running IE7.

Thanks.

Donald.

PO79 14:57 18 Apr 08
  woodchip 15:15 18 Apr 08

You need to know if the motherboard supports the CPU

donaldcro 14:26 22 Apr 08

I have now purchased the above processer, and need assistance from someone out there as to how I install this into my computer. It has an added item attached to the processer and am not too sure what it is, but I am given to understand that it is part of the P3 itself. In that case how does one replace the P3 that is already in my computer, as this item I have is larger than that installed.

Thanks.

Donaldcro.

Lee.C 15:17 22 Apr 08

The link that PO79 gave you is the best explanation I can find of how to change a P3 processor.

Not sure what this 'attached' thing is. I seem to recall the Celeron models at the time had a weird extra bit but I don't think it applied to the P3. Could it just be a different shaped heatsink?

Assuming your new cpu is compatible with the motherboard it should just be a case of carefully removing the new cpu from the attached item and using it with the original heatsink instead.

Stuartli 15:18 22 Apr 08

A Slot1 looks like this:

click here

The Socket 370:

click here

Your motherboard will most likely only take one or the other unless you buy a converter (assuming you have acquired a Slot 1 CPU). See:

click here

About 10 years ago I bought the very first motherboard in the world (an Elite P6BXT+A-) to support both Slot1 and Socket 370 Intel processors (up to Pentium III in the case of Slot1 and Celeron for Socket 370).

Stuartli 15:20 22 Apr 08

Unfortunately you couldn't use a Slot1 and Celeron at the same time...:-((

donaldcro 17:22 22 Apr 08

The type of Pentium 3 I have is a slot 1, but where do I put it?

Donald.

Stuartli 17:37 22 Apr 08

In the appropriate Slot...:-)

See:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac