Installer software wanted

Chris the Ancient 19:35 18 Dec 03

I'm developing a package that will have an Access database and some Excel workbooks.

To successfully 'link' export and import data betweeen Access and Excel, FULL pathnames must be included in any macros.

I'm not convinced that end-users of my package will put the folders where I tell them. And if they are using XP with different Documents and Settings, my pathnames will go straight out of the window.

So many pieces of software these days have installers to put things where they belong - and then provide desktop shortcuts. Just what I need!

But despite some time trawling through Google, I can't seem to find a source of applications that will create an installer for my package.

Has any kind person out there found a fairly simple application that will make an installer for my system? (And at a 'reasonable' price?)

Or has anyone found a simple (my brain is old and fuddled these days and can only cope with the simple things in life!) way of doing what I want to do with these thingies?

VoG II 19:51 18 Dec 03

I've used click here before (you can use the Personal Edition built into WinZip but that's less "controllable").

When the user double clicks the .exe file the files will be decompressed to the same folder unless the user is really determined to cock things up.

For example, I have included a Workbook template, a .XLA file to execute code, a help file and the instruction manual in a single archive.

Chris the Ancient 20:13 18 Dec 03

I dunno how you do it!

A perfect answer - especially as I'm one of the few (I suspect) with a full, paid for version of WinZip.

Now to tuck myself into a corner and read it in greater depth.

Once again, I'm obliged to you. Many, many thanks.

R4 20:36 18 Dec 03

The nice thing about WINZIP is that you get a 'Lifetime' license , pay once and all that follows are Upgrades to your Original purchase.

Other companies could do worse than follow this idea.

Chris the Ancient 20:43 18 Dec 03

Call me old-fashioned, but I had used an evaluation copy of WinZip for years (literally). Then I thought, what the heck, it's been good to me and I'd like to pay back. So I did.

OK. I do have slightly more disposable cash these days - but if nobody ever paid, there'd be no evaluation stuff!

I think the only thing that I've not made a contribution to yet that is on my machine is SpyBot - which I'm still sort of evaluating. If it keeps going the way it is, I'll give them something as well.

I must now go and polish my halo!

VoG II 22:11 18 Dec 03

Just to note that I too have paid for both of my bits of stuff from - in fact I think they were the first bits of software that I bought over the net, with trembling fingers tapping in credit card details over a flaky 56K connection (that never reached 56K). It has proved to be an excellent investment.

I confess that generally I do not stump up for donation-ware. I have to measure my conscience against my gin money.

VoG II 22:16 18 Dec 03

The reason that I hit on the "perfect answer" is that 5 or so years ago I came across an identical (apart from the Access stuff) dilemma. Work IT useless; found my own solution.

Very best wishes, Chris and everybody who reads this, for the festive season.

Now that your project is completed I suppose I shall have to lurk at mrexcel to satisfy my Excel addiction.

Chris the Ancient 23:42 18 Dec 03

Quite a way to go to completion!

Beta tests were moderately successful.

First completion which will (hopefully) be ready early next year - in time for the financial year, is the v1.0 (I hope).

The real whistles and bells singing and dancing version will have the final full integration and, I suspect, feedback from v1.0.

Many thanks for the felicitations. I'm afraid this year I'm going to have to suffer the indignities of lazing on a tropical beach for the festive season. Well, someone's got to do it. I hope your break, whatever it may be, is as equally enjoyable!

And don't think that I'm going to let you off having to help me when I get back. ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…