installed xp home ok but modem not working

henry1 22:38 29 Sep 03

first thanks to all for help in uninstalling win 98. I have installed xp home but when aol tried to connect there is no dial tone but phone socket is ok and was working ok with win 98. Surely my 3 year old P3 internal modem is compatable with xp. Have tried the trouble shooter and all the basics seem ok, tried slowing the rate to 9600 but still no joy. I can't hear a dial tone but can hear the tones as it tries to dial but they seem distorted compared to when on win 98. Any ideas or do I need a new modem.
Thanks
Henry1

GORAL 22:50 29 Sep 03

Suggest you simply need a new driver. If it's only 3 years old the maker will probably have an XP driver - have a look on their website.

Does Device Manager give a clue - have a look at the installed driver in there.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:41 29 Sep 03

click here, register (free) and you will be able to download any drivers. Do you know the name of the modem? Many pieces of 'old' hardware will not work on XP and a new modem costs £11 in PCW. Easy to fit.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…