installed wrong version of XP

almoner 12:55 18 Apr 06

Hi,
My C drive crashed before I could create a boot disk. I re-booted using the 2nd hard drive but in error used an XP Pro ugrade disc which I have on my laptop.
I need to use the XP Home disc which I purchased along with the components to build my pc. Microsoft helpdesk were very unhelpful. Can anybody out there help me. Thanks
Jim

Smiler 13:03 18 Apr 06

Why not just format the drive then install XP Home

almoner 13:46 18 Apr 06

Thanks for that, I do however have stuff on the what is now the C drive that I don't want to lose, and which I can't seem to back up to cd

pokemom 13:51 18 Apr 06

do you have another pc? if so then put the drive in the other as a slave and then take info off and then put back in other macxhine and reformat and install xp home ,then put the one you copyed it too<the info> in as a slave and transfer using the setting and files wizard !!! good luck its easier than it sounds

Stuartli 14:03 18 Apr 06

It might be worth checking if you can do an XP Home Repair.

Perhaps someone can state definitely if this will work - it will (should) preserve all your data, programs, configuration etc).

Details of an XP Repair at:

click here

Stuartli 14:04 18 Apr 06

Most likely because you were using it on a second system...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…