installed ubuntu next xp,how transfer files?

Jwbjnwolf 18:12 23 Dec 10

I have just installed ubuntu 10.10 on my xp netbook alongside windows xp, i know that the hidden recovery console is still there as in ubuntu's bootloader where it shows the list of os's, ubuntu classifies the recovery console as windows vista which confused me a little, no idea if the factory default is vista or not, but i would not like to know(i did follow some of your recommendations about creating a factory default disk, which i done about a month ago after went out to buy some dvd r/w's)

now what i want to do is transfer files and stuff to ubuntu so ihave them on there instead, i know there is an easy way around it when linux and windows are alongside each other but how?
silly using a usb stick which is only 2gb so it would take forever.

GaT7 18:21 23 Dec 10

You can do it from within Linux. Just browse to the files that need to be transferred & cut/copy & paste them to where you need them on the Linux partition.

If you were to do it the other way around (not recommended), you'll need a Linux reader program, as explained at click here. G

Jwbjnwolf 18:46 23 Dec 10

How do i find the files on linux?

GaT7 18:48 23 Dec 10

Browse to where you have them stored on the XP partition. What kind of files are we talking about? G

Jwbjnwolf 18:52 23 Dec 10

Music, video files, pictures but not documents at this stage as i use ms office.

GaT7 18:57 23 Dec 10

Well, then do as I suggested. I thought some of it may be emails.

The default location of these items in XP will be situated in the following directory: C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents. When viewing it from Linux the drive letter may be different. G

Jwbjnwolf 19:02 23 Dec 10

All Linux shows in computer folder is my usb disk player and file system, will it be possible that windows will display Linux partition. so i should just be able to do the same procedure in xp?

GaT7 19:07 23 Dec 10

If you use Konquerer, you should be able to see the XP partition. Go into it (double-click) & navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\My Documents & copy+paste what you need.

Yes, you can do it the other way around too (as mentioned in my initial post), but that would involve installing another program. G

Jwbjnwolf 19:13 23 Dec 10

In xp now, as i used the windows installer when installed linux, it installed on the same drive, i cannot create new partitions on my netbook most likely because what it is so i cannot view the stuff in linux apart from the system files.
Any idea?

GaT7 19:32 23 Dec 10

Sorry, I forgot that you'll need to 'mount' the XP NTFS partition first before you can access it from Linux (like explained at click here). It's been a while, but as far as I can remember, I was always able to access (including read & write) to & from the XP partition without mounting it!

Anyway, since you're in XP now, you can use the free Ext2 IFS click here to do the same from the XP partition instead. G

LastChip 19:58 23 Dec 10

from the top panel (known as a task bar in Windows) you should be able to go to:

Places --> Computer and see all your drives or partitions automatically, without mounting anything.

Though your introduction as to how you installed Ubuntu is a little hazy.

Are you saying you installed via Wubi, or did you let the installer automatically install Ubuntu for you, using part of the hard dive and creating its own partition?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…