installed two anti-virus software by accident

farsleymoose 17:42 26 Mar 05

I recently bought a new pc and didn't realise that anti-virus software was already installed. I then installed my version of Norton AntiVirus which had disastourous consequences! The PC became EXTREMELY slow.

I have managed to remove the one which came pre-installed and the pc appears to be running ok again now although I spent so little time on it before installing Norton that i cannot compare its performance anyway.

Can anyone advise me as to whether this may have caused any software problems.

Any info much appreciated.

VoG II 17:44 26 Mar 05

Basically they are each monitoring each other's activity.

Result - like wading through treacle.

farsleymoose 17:51 26 Mar 05

so now that one of then has been removed would everything have reverted back to normal?

Thanks for the info by the way

stalion 17:51 26 Mar 05

if you have removed the anti-virus that was pre-installed on your pc you should be ok.You could do a registry clean up to get rid of any files left in there click here

Belatucadrus 17:53 26 Mar 05

Worst case scenario one AV perceives the signatures in the others database as a virus and tries to cure/delete/erase The second AV reacts to this hostile action and tries to correct/block. This usually crashes everything.
Some people have managed to get two AV running together, but most don't and as there is as far as I'm aware no compatibility list to refer to, the situation is best avoided.

glen2409 18:21 26 Mar 05

I run AVG free and Zone Alarm with Antivirus without any problems or conflicts. They can be run together in some cases.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…