Installed Ram Query

Eargasm 20:51 05 Sep 10

Just inherited a laptop Toshiba Satellite Pro A60 Model number PSA65E running XP Pro.

Windows shows the installed Ram as 704MB as the ATI Graphics is 64MB i assumed there was a 512MB and a 256MB module installed totalling 768MB.
I have ran SIW and Everest and they both list the laptop as having one memory slot only, which has 512MB installed.

I have checked in the BIOS and under memory it has 720896kb which equates to 704MB.
Can SIW and Everest be wrong or can anyone explain why the difference ?
Thanks

MAJ 22:04 05 Sep 10

Open it up and take a look.

birdface 22:58 05 Sep 10

Virtual memory maybe.
This from another thread by Fruit Bat.

Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Right click MY Computer - select properties - Advanced tab - Performance -
advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a different drive (if you have one), click
custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory
= set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the
PC to crash (restart).
Just thought that might be what you have seen.

Eargasm 23:22 05 Sep 10

Thanks all.
I will take a look inside the laptop tomorrow.
buteman i altered the settings as your post but it made no difference Windows still showing 704MB although the initial setting was set to 1056 and the maximum was 2112. Thanks

MAJ 23:39 05 Sep 10

The Satellite Pro A60 Series has only one slot for extra memory. It already has a non-removable 256MB module installed, so I imagine there is a 512MB module in the extra slot, giving a total of 768MB some of which is used for your graphics, bringing you down to 704MB.

Strawballs 23:45 05 Sep 10

click here If I've read that correct it has 256meg standard and 1Xexpansion slot.

so it looks like it has 2, 1 standard and 1 expansion

Eargasm 18:53 06 Sep 10

Thanks MAJ/Strawballs i have just had a look inside and there is a 512MB stick in the expansion slot, so there must be 768MB including the non-removable.
Odd though why SIW or Everest never showed the fixed module.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now