Installed new internal hard drive

mctrout 14:21 PM 19 Sep 12

I just installed a new WD SATA hard drive. I switched the PC on but the Hard Drive does not show up. I used The existing SATA lead & left the original hard drive with the connection SATA 3 & used the 2nd connection SATA 2 for the new hard drive. The PC then had some updates to install but I got a message saying updates failed. I must have done something wrong, but I followed what the installation instructions said. I know very little about a pc when there is a problem so can anyone please help me out. Thanks Mac

KRONOS the First 14:47 PM 19 Sep 12

Right click My Computer then Manage a box will open, click on Disk Management and see if your new hard-drive is shown there. If so right click anywhere within the new harddrive box and click on format. Hopefully that should sort it.

mctrout 18:09 PM 19 Sep 12

I made a mistake by putting SATA lead for the new Hard Drive in the 3 SATA slot Instead of the 2nd one. But thanks for the Disk Management tip as I did not have a clue how to format the hard drive. Thanks Mac

KRONOS the First 05:25 AM 20 Sep 12

It really should not matter if you had connected the Data cable to the 3 slot as opposed to the 2 slot as it is backwards compatible, but as long as you are sorted,that is the main thing.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…