Installed new hard drive, now won't boot

Graham. 14:42 18 May 08

I installed a 400GB hard drive, set it as master, and attempted a System Recovery with HP CD's.
That failed on disc 5, so I will call HP tomorrow.

Now set the original hard drive as master, checked in the BIOS that it was recognized, but it won't boot. I just get the POST beep, then a black screen and flashing cursor. All connections checked.

I've a feeling this is something obvious, so looking for suggestions, please.

MAT ALAN 15:06 18 May 08

I installed a 400GB hard drive,(which XP wont see all of without a bios update) set it as master, and attempted a System Recovery with HP CD's.

if i read this right you are trying to use recovery CDs on a new HDD with nothing on it!!! how does that work then...

Take new HDD out of PC make sure original is set to master and your boot sequence is to this drive and try again...

Graham. 15:13 18 May 08

I've already done that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:17 18 May 08

Check BIOS settings, check first boot device is CD drive second boot device is Hard drive.

Graham. 15:35 18 May 08

BIOS is set as you suggest. Still no joy. This may be to do with boot manager - it was non-srandard before, after an excursion into Linux.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 18 May 08

Boot from XP CD into recovery console and run FIXMBR.

Ditch999 18:00 18 May 08

Do you have to press a key, like F11 or F2, during POST to enter recovery mode where you then load the CDs?

Graham. 18:00 18 May 08

Norton Ghost back-up started.

Graham. 19:16 18 May 08

System Restored with Ghost. I'll try to exchange the 400GB for one less than 137GB at PC World tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

PA28 08:49 19 May 08

What is the top limit that XP can see then? I ask the question as I have installed a 360Gb hard drive in my machine without any problems. Installed new drive as slave D, Ghosted contents of C across (including system files), increased partition size to full 360Gb and then swapped Master and Slave about. Although it's a few months since I did this, I don't recall any problems and certainly no BIOS isuues........

woodchip 09:48 19 May 08

Use a Acronis Image of the Old Drive to Load to the New one, Make sure Jumpers are set as Master Slave not two Master on Same Ribbon Cable

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…