installed 32bit on 64bit laptop

armacomroll 15:25 17 Aug 10

I bought a 32 bit windows 7 upgrade for my pc but decided to install it on my laptop not realising that the laptop was 64 bit. I activated it and then found out the graphics didn't work properly. The engineer at Comet recovered it to the original Vista and it now works OK. However the upgrade was expensive and I wonder if I can transfer the license to another pc as I hadn't been able to use it properly on the 64 bit laptop. Advise on how to do it welcome

Audio~~Chip 15:30 17 Aug 10

You not suppose to but it would work. The only problem you would have to wait 3 months before re-activation unless you call Microsoft and come clean about what you did.

Zeppelyn 16:08 17 Aug 10

An upgrade disc is retail so I see no problems installing it to another desktop or laptop provided you have a qualifying version of Windows on it, XP or Vista. You will probably have to use the automated telephone line to activate tho but not a problem.

The fact your laptop has a 64 bit processor doesnt mean it has to have a 64 bit OS, 32 bit will install fine and with a bit of searching Im sure a driver could have been found for the graphics.

armacomroll 16:19 17 Aug 10

the OS installed ok but the graphics poor and updating the drivers made no difference. Do you have the telephone number

Zeppelyn 16:28 17 Aug 10

Not off hand but will pop up when you attempt to activate, its an 0800 number.

northumbria61 16:44 17 Aug 10

0800 018 8354 or take your pick from here - click here

armacomroll 16:40 29 Aug 10

I contacted microsoft by email and this is their response ---it may be of use to some one :-

Thanks for contacting us.

You ask "can I transfer the license to another computer running XP."

Yes.

Upgrades are independent, but are not full licenses.
- They do not merge with the prior license to form a new one, rather they append to the original license like a bolt on package. This means that they can be detached from that original license and moved on their own to another machine.
- They must go over a prior version or lesser edition.
- When you upgrade, you lose the right to use the prior version and any software under the old license. You may only use the software provided with the new license.

XP does qualify as an eligable license for the Upgrade.

So according to the license, there is no problem with this. There may be some technical issues, so please take note of the following.

Do check the following advisory links first as a custom install must be performed.

click here

Further support and advice can be found here

click here

You may have activation problems when you install the software. If this happens call the Product Activation team on 0800 0188 354.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…