Installation XP H E caused drive letters to change

Lofty123 21:56 02 Sep 04

Following diaster trying to install sp2 I have had to reinstall Win XP Home Edition. My computer has two hard disk and the usual cd & DVD.

After installing the drive letters seem all mixed up. First drive is F: Second drive is C: the CD is D: and the DVD is E: As I cannot change the Root drive letter what can I do to revert to the original of A:FDD B:FDD C:Root HDD 1 D:Hdd 2 E: CD and F: DVD.
Your help would be appreicated

Eargasm 22:12 02 Sep 04

Try control panel/addmin tools/computer management/storage/disk management, then right click your drives and choose "change drive letter and path" from the drop down menu,you can then put your drives back as before.

accord 22:33 02 Sep 04

i had to change all my drive letters after sp2 install. did as eargasm suggested and all is fine.

jakimo 23:52 02 Sep 04

Try your question in the new SP2 forum,top left hand of page

Lofty123 12:31 03 Sep 04

Thanks for all your help, none of them worked, the system would not let me change the root directory for some reason.

however, tried to re install sp2 following a reinstall of XP Home Edition which also failed totally and not even Microsoft could recover from it!!

Now waiting for the CD

Since reinstalling XP yet again the letters have reverted back to normal themselves.

Many thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…