Installation of Win98SE??

roygbiv 14:00 02 Feb 03

I have just witnessed my mother in law reinstall WIN98SE (via step by step instructions from a operator at the CURRY’S PC warranty helpline). Now she has the “bare Bones” 98SE but no sound, games or no mention of a modem. (All these items are on-board). Is there a way she can install these without ringing the helpline again (and running up a huge phone bill).
The system is PATRIOT 400 (AMD k6-2 400) (book size).
According to the operator PATRIOT “is a little bit different to other systems” ??
Alan.

Stuartli 14:10 02 Feb 03

If you have the drivers for the devices install them and then let Windows "add" new hardware.

Then you can, if necessary, go on-line for the latest drivers.

There are numerous threads on this subject which have been recently posted - a Search will find them.

roygbiv 14:21 02 Feb 03

Thank you, (that was quick)
These items are on-board does this mean a "special"PATRIOT driver for them?.
I had a PATRIOT at the same time (now up graded to a new system with XP) so i have a PATRIOT driver and she can try that.

Wak 15:13 02 Feb 03

Hi, I have the Patriot computer manual which covers both the C400 and MII 300 Book computer models.
If you wish to e-mail me I will scan and copy the relative installation pages for you.
There would appear to be different drivers and discs for both computers.

BRYNIT 16:54 02 Feb 03

If they are on board you should have a CD with all drivers for the mother board this should have come with the computor.

roygbiv 15:00 03 Feb 03

Thank you all. So far as i know the technicain is comeing to do the installation on the PC (after all that's what the extened warranty is for). I will leave this post open for now, to let everyone know how things are with the PC.

roygbiv 13:40 05 Feb 03

The technician came and said she would have to install windows properly.
I have posted another thread(Win98SE "installation") to get more advice for my mother in law.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…