Installation of ROM drives

stumpyman 17:22 22 Oct 04

I have just installed a DVD writer which is much slower when writing to CD's then my other writer drive. I also have a ROM drive which is faster for only reading. I would therefore like to keep all my drives. I assume that if I buy a ribbon cable with 3 connectors on it that I can plug in all 3 drives. Also I would like to know how I should set the connections on the back of the drives, do I make one Master and two Slaves or should it be different and which drive to make the Master if there there is some advantage in making one drive the Master.

pj123 17:41 22 Oct 04

Not possible. There are no ribbon (ide) cables with three connections. You can have two drives on two ide cables. For example if you only have one hard drive (master) you can have another (hard drive or optical drive) as a slave on the main ide cable. You can then have two more drives (hard drives or optical drive) on the secondary ide cable, giving four drives altogether.

If you need to connect more that four drives you can get a pci to ide card which will accommodate another drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…