Installation problems with Belkin wireless adaptor

Monkeyman28 21:03 12 Feb 08

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me with my problem. I have seen that there are a number of posts on this site that help with similar problems as mine but none which help in the detail I need.

My mum has a wireless Belkin adaptor which I installed for her when I was last home, but it has stopped the software it came wit seems to have stopped working. I have read that belkin devices are tricky and it is best not to use the software that comes with the USB device but rather to use the default Windows XP wireless software.

Would anyone be able to give me step by step instructions on how to uninstall the current belkin software and setup the XP version?

I need it to be as specific and step by step as possible as my mum isn't really computer savvy, and I'm having trouble directing her over the telephone.

Thanks for your help

skidzy 21:46 12 Feb 08

Couple of options for you;

1) Remove the Belkin software from add and remove programs and run ccleaner click here and reboot the pc.
Reload the software for the Belkin adaptor.

2) As above,remove the software and use the wireless network setup wizard in control panel/classic view.
You will need a flash/pen drive to carry the wireless settings across from the host computer.
Just follow the prompts.

Depending on the model of the Belkin adaptor,you may find you will need the software as the xp driver may not work....though unlikely.

I have a cable and wireless adaptor fitted on my test machine,the xp driver will not run this...so the software is needed.

Woolwell 21:51 12 Feb 08

The Belkin adaptors can be fussy which USB port they are plugged in to. Has she plugged it into a different one?

Monkeyman28 16:07 14 Feb 08

Thanks for your suggestions so far. Over the phone I have been able to direct my mum to uninstall the software and to start running the set-up wizard for windows XP. I have read that it is advisable to use the drivers from the Belkin CD in this installation. However, my pc is vista which is completely different to XP and I can't visualize the situation to be able to walk my mum through it. We get stuck at a point when she is being prompted to load drivers. I have never gone through this process before so I don’t know what to do at this point.

If anyone could literally give me a step my step of this it would be really helpful?

Thanks again for your help so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…