Installation problem: HP Officejet 6100 (Win 98SE)

twodogs 13:01 25 Jun 03

Hi,
I'm attempting to install an Officejet 6100 onto a friend's machine (Dell P3 700, Win 98 SE) and we're having a total nightmare. I was wondering if anybody had experienced anything similar?

We're receiving spool32 errors as soon as the installation is complete, which freeze the machine, disabling the 'Start' button and system tray, and also right mouse button. If we attempt to delete the printer (via the HP utilities), we again encounter the spool32 error.

HP's tech support were less than useful, suggesting it was a problem with Windows and therefore Microsoft's problem, not theirs.

Will an upgrade to XP solve our woes? Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Martin

Megatyte 13:20 25 Jun 03

Do you have an AV running? If so, disable it while you install.

AH

twodogs 13:32 25 Jun 03

Hi Megatyte,
There is an AV package, which we have disabled.

Thanks for your swift reply; if you think of anything else - or indeed would like any further info - I'll be happy to help. I'm pretty sure that my pal can't be alone in running Win 98 SE and buying a 6100, and as such isn't the only person to be suffering!

M

woodchip 13:45 25 Jun 03

Is it a USB printer

Megatyte 13:55 25 Jun 03

Do you know anyone with a Windows ME disk you can borrow?

Replace your old SPOOLSS.DLL with this new one from Windows ME.

!!!DO NOT USE THIS WITH WINDOWS 95!!!

The easiest way to update the SPOOLSS.DLL is to use the System File Checker.

Start-Run-SFC-OK

Select Extract one file from disk

Type SPOOLSS.DLL in the filename box.Click Start

In the Restore from box type the location of the SPOOLSS.DLL. On the ME CD it's in Win_15.Cab

The Save file in box should say C:\Windows\System
This will prompt you to backup the old file (recommended) to the C:\WINDOWS\Helpdesk\SFC folder, then prompt to reboot the machine.

twodogs 14:07 25 Jun 03

Hello again. Firstly...yep, it's a USB printer. Secondly, to Megabyte, I'm pretty sure that I can lay hands on a Windows ME disc, and will attempt to update the spoolss.dll as you've decribed.

Thanks for yourhelp: I'll be sure to report back with my findings ASAP!

M

woodchip 15:50 25 Jun 03

Right as it's a USB this is more than likely the Prob you have let windows load a driver. do do it the right way. You need to remove the printer from Add/Remove programs unplug printer, go to device manager look for USB printer and remove it, if not there Double click on the USB to expand it, then remove all the USB that you can see starting from the bottom of the list, then restart the computer to let it reinstall the USB that's still connected, after which plug your printer in and switch on, you will then see the new hardware wizard click on this to cancel it until the box goes away then Put your Printer CD in the computer and run the software that should do it

woodchip 15:51 25 Jun 03

"To do" not DO DO

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…