installation of phone cable alongside ring main?

woody 00:02 03 Jul 03

If i install a phone cable alongside a ring main am i liable to interference on the phone from the elec cable?

woodchip 00:03 03 Jul 03

Yes

woody 01:01 03 Jul 03

Will it be much? - the phone is only used for voice calls.

Djohn 01:06 03 Jul 03

As woodchip says, You are liable to get interference. If running on surface, then best to use dual chanel plastic trunking. j.

The Spires 01:16 03 Jul 03

I really wouldn't worry, BT run thier cables alongside 1100 volt+ feeders.

woody 02:11 03 Jul 03

No it is alongside power through floor joists .
A hole through 7 beams.Total distance Approx 10 feet.
I can move it but then it will be on show.

graham√ 09:44 03 Jul 03

Yes, but the higher voltage cables have an earthed armoured screen which minimizes interference.

woody, you should be OK for that distance. Test before you put the floorboards back. If necessary, it should be a few minutes job with an electric drill to make additional small holes.

Problems only really become apparent if the phone is an extension on an electronic 'call connect system', as used in offices, etc., and the mains is feeding an inductive load such as a fridge, photocopier or fluorescent light. Then symptoms are not interference you can hear, rather erratic behaviour of the system, calls cutting off, etc.

Mango Grummit 11:15 03 Jul 03

I think the answer is a straight NO ... but what is the reason for your question?

Is the question merely academic or do you have a problem?

If your question has been brought about due to a problem you are experiencing it would be helpful if you could describe some detail, ie what precisely is the problem.

regards, Mango

scotty 12:42 03 Jul 03

Interference should not be a problem but I do recall reading that power and phone cable should be separated by 150mm or 200mm. I think the reasoning was safety related.

woodchip 13:42 03 Jul 03

Correct induced current

beeuuem 14:08 03 Jul 03

From click here
Although this relates to data networks the same principles apply to voice networks.

Cable routes should be planned to avoid fluorescent light fittings and power cables (exceptions can be made in the case of optical fibre). They should not be run in the same conduit as power, or the same channel of a trunking system, and where they are run parallel to power they must be at least 60mm apart (BS7671-92) . Crossing power cables is allowed but it must be at right angles, and some form of bridge should be used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…