Installation of a new hard drive

heidelberg 15:30 07 Apr 03

I realise that there are many postings dealing with this subject, but It would be of benefit to me to have all the information in one place

My system is a Pentium III, 640 mb RAM, xp home edition, 15gb hard drive, with 2 partitions, a DVD drive and a CD writer. I am about to purchase a 2nd hard drive, 60 or 80 gb. I want to reformat the present hard drive.

I would welcome any hints and suggestions that would assist with this process, with regard to such things as

· Would a dual boot system be of benefit?
· How many partitions would be best on each drive?
· Where would it be best to install the OS, the applications, data files, backups etc?
· What would be the best order of installing the above?

Any other hints and tips would be welcome, as would other peoples experiences.

Philip2 15:51 07 Apr 03

Before you buy a large HDD check your motherboard info to see if it will support the size you are after otherwise it will be a waste of money they are not a plug and play device.

Diemmess 18:19 07 Apr 03

I guess you are OK with your present motherboard, and particularly if you partiton a new drive into less hefty chunks.

A bit out of my depth with XP, though I think the principle is the same.

Mount your new drive as a secondary, and make images of your old partitions on to the new drive but in a later partition using Norton Ghost or Drive Image........I assume you want to keep things as they are?

Then you can "restore" your image on to virgin partitons of the new drive before changing drives around between primary and secondary, booting from your new drive C: and at last being free to reformat the old, now secondary HDD.

Dual boot seems best left until you have at least formatted and accepted your new drive in place. First things first!

flecc 19:20 07 Apr 03

If you want to dual boot with two installations of XP, you'll need to install each separately, it cannot just be copied across and still boot, unlike previous Windows versions. Installing the second one separately also ensures that XP will provide you with a boot manager for you to use to select the system to go into. For dual XPs, choose the NTFS fuile system during installation.

If you want to dual boot with an older Windows version, you need to install the older version first and then the XP. Doing it the other way round leads to a corrupted installation. In this case, with most older Windows versions, choose the FAT32 file system during the XP installation since the older Windows will not be able to read NTFS on the same machine.

If you do dual boot, the best configuration is to set one up for internet use and the other for all other apps. The reason for this is that your anti-virus and firewall use resources and can cause conflicts with other programs. Running these functions separately gives the best performance and reliability.

woodchip 19:21 07 Apr 03

Your comp may only support a 32Gb drive on your peasant bios. You need to connect the new drive to the same ribbon cable as your other drive as a slave on IDE 1 and have your DVD as master and CDRW as slave on IDE 2 there will be no need to partition if you do not want to you can auto detect the drive in cmos the format it in windows by opening Explorer right click the drive and choose format. If you using Win98 or WinME you have to load the OS to C:\

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…