Installation of New Hard drive

Chillie 12:35 06 May 09

Hard Drive on Dell 5150c died. Replacement arrived from Dell today. I am seeking some help on best procedure for getting system up and running.

I have a full backup on external HD through Acronis. Dell has sent me a new XP Pro(SP3)and Drivers CDs.

Questions:

1. Reinstall via Acronis backup or start afresh with new XP & Drivers.

2. If, as I think, it may be better to start afresh, do I load XP and then the Drivers, ZA firewall, Spysweeper?

3. I use Homehub (V 6.2.6e). When do I connect Hub and will XP auto install.

4. With Homehub, I use WPA2. Will I have to get a new WPA key for Notebook to be recognised wirelessly.

I do hope that one of our experts here will be able to guide me.

Many thanks

Chillie

Technotiger 13:30 06 May 09

If, apart from the drive packing-up, everything else was fine when you made your Acronis back-up, I would go the Acronis route. Install your new drive and then Restore your Acronis back-up.

Pineman100 14:31 06 May 09

I agree with Technotiger - provided, as he says, that prior to your system failure, everything was fine. And provided your Acronis backup was a full drive image - not just a data backup.

If you restore from your Acronis image, you should find that everything will work exactly as it did before the crash - no need to worry about WPA key or antyhing else.

Chillie 15:08 06 May 09

for your advice.

I shall attempt the Acronis route first - the backup is a full image.

If there is a problem, then I have the alternative of a clean install.

I shall leave this open and report later!!

Once again, your responses are appreciated.

Chillie

Chillie 11:13 07 May 09

Decided to go for a clean install. All okay.

Once again my thanks to Technotiger and Pineman100.

Chillie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…