Installation information needed for a graphic card

Graphicool1 14:39 01 Mar 11

WinXP - SP3 - AMD Athlon(TM)XP1800+ - 1.16GHz - 1.25GB RAM

The card in at present is an...
Nvidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400

I have been given an...
Nvidia GeForce 7600GS AGP 8x/4x, 256 MB.

No installation instructions and no disk.

woodchip 14:43 01 Mar 11

You first need to download the Drivers. Then Shut PC down and swap the cards, Run the Driver from the Download by Double Click on it in Safe Mode. Restart PC and the PC should then recognise the drivers and new card

HondaMan 14:43 01 Mar 11

You should be able to dpownload the drivers from Nvidia's site. Not familiar with your existing card, just make sure they atre both AGP cards and with the downloads to hand, all should be well.

HondaMan 14:45 01 Mar 11

Try this link click here

Graphicool1 15:13 01 Mar 11

woodchip ~ I can get my head round that, to an extent. I'll get back to that in a mo'.

HondaMan ~ I've just been on the net to see what AGP is all about. I started to read it, then my eyes glazed over. Jargon and how it works, that it does is all I care about. But seriously...

"just make sure they are both AGP cards"

I doubt very much if my present one is?

Graphicool1 15:21 01 Mar 11

It isn't just a card, that goes in a slot, end of story. It comes with other bits? Inc plugs and leads. Don't ask me, I've no idea. That's why I'm asking for directions to some sort of online manual and/or installation instructions (with pictures) so I can say oh yeah now I know what that is. Or, I still have got a clue, just point me in the right direction.

woodchip 15:22 01 Mar 11

All you need to know is does the new card fit the slot without trying to force it in any way. You will only find that out by removing the side panel.
Remove Power plug from Wall socket before making Hardware changes as Power is still at the Motherboard even when PC is switched off

woodchip 15:25 01 Mar 11

Plugs leads means it needs its own power supply from the PSU. Look for extra Lead coming from the Old card to motherboard or a Hard Drive power plug. known as four pin Molex.
You can use one of these if you have one spare to connect to

RGB76 18:58 01 Mar 11

Hi Graphicool1
There are Videos on youtube showing everything you need to know regarding that card.
Just put Nvidia 7600GS into the seach box if you still need help.

Good Luck

Russell

Graphicool1 11:42 02 Mar 11

No offence woodchip, but even though you make it sound easy, I think I'll check out the video, just to be on the safe side.

Thanx RGB76.

G1

Graphicool1 15:04 02 Mar 11

It's a good job I checked out the video's! Although it had crossed my mind 'Would my PC be too old for this GC' Had I not checked out the video's, I would have probably pulled out the old one and shoved in the new. It could as it happens have been a costly mistake. Something to do with power supply and voltages. It could have fried my mobo!

So now I know it's a no go.

Thanx again Russell

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant