Installation error message

slightlymad 17:28 08 Aug 04

Trying to install Avery Label Wizard, recommended in an earlier thread (thanks, VoG).

This is the error message I get: "16 bit Windows Subsystem. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

Any suggestions, please? OS WinXP.

VoG II 17:39 08 Aug 04

click here BUT as far as I know it isn't a 16-bit program. Maybe a corrupt download. I would try downloading again and only try the "click here" if you still get the error.

slightlymad 18:06 08 Aug 04

Still no luck, I'm afraid.

Downloaded again, same error message.

Then I clicked there, and followed instructions. This is what I got click here.

To expand... I installed a programme upgrade a little earlier today, without any problems. But a couple of days ago I popped into PC Pitstop, and got the 16-bit error message when I OK'd "Install the PC Pitstop utility".

Is there any chance this may be related to MS services? A couple of weeks ago I followed Black Viper's advice and unchecked whatever he recommended. I can't say for certain if this is when the problem started, as it's only in the last couple of days that I've tried installations.

VoG II 18:09 08 Aug 04

I'm not sure if this would help but could you do a System Restore to before you made those changes?

slightlymad 18:23 08 Aug 04

No - restore points don't go back that far. I could be completely on the wrong track, but any idea if there's a setting in Services that relates to my problem? I've had a look at the entries and I can't see anything that corresponds.

VoG II 18:38 08 Aug 04

No I can't either, but can you try resetting them back to what they were?

slightlymad 18:45 08 Aug 04

Oh lor, that'll take a bit of scrolling... do you know if there's any way I can set the whole lot back to default? Not even sure we're on the right track, here.

VoG II 18:50 08 Aug 04

I've had a look and I can't see an "easy way", sorry :o(

slightlymad 18:53 08 Aug 04

Buried in Black Viper's site is a registry file that will restore all the services to default. Thank God for that. Off to try it, back soon.

slightlymad 18:58 08 Aug 04

Services now back to default in a single click, but still no luck in installing. At least we've eliminated that as a culprit.

slightlymad 19:30 08 Aug 04

Sorted! It seems my autoexec.nt file had gone AWOL, just as suggested in your link, VoG.

I'd done something stupid - literally copied and pasted the commands, without reading them. (I should have inserted the XP CD...) Feeling really embarrassed now.

AveryWizard now installed - it's great!

Thanks very much, VoG.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…