//some 3rd party need geo

Installation

Ritchbee 12:12 10 Mar 03

Hi,

Sorry if the sounds a bit dim to some of you experts out there.

But I'm soon to purchase my very first home computer, so could someone please advise me what are things I need to consider and do regarding its installation !.

A) Phone line (No Broadband currently available)
B) Separate line best ?.
C) Phone Point/cable

Anything else to consider or take into account ?

AndySD 12:24 10 Mar 03

AntiSugrge protection. eg an antisurge extension cable for the plug sockets and you can get a phone point one for the modem line too.

Gongoozler 12:29 10 Mar 03

Hi Ritchbee. I gather from your question that your main concern is the connection of your computer to the telephone line. I prefer a permanently fitted telephone extension socket, but the modem will probably have a lead with a connector for your telephone socket that includes a socket for the telephone (apologies for that convoluted sentence). So all you need to do is unplug your telephone, plug in the modem cable, plug your telephone back in. For the best modem connection speed you need a good quality telephone connection, so anything that degrades your telephone quality such as too many extensions will slow down your internet speed. Also if you are a long way from the exchange you may not get good speeds. The only real advantage of a separate line is that you will be able to use your internet connection at the same time as the telephone is being used, but this will involve paying your telephone company 2 rental charges.

Pesala 12:35 10 Mar 03

Do you have desk/workstation? Correct height and position of monitor, keyboard, and mouse are very important - also proper lighting. An under desk sliding shelf for the keyboard and mouse helps to clear clutter from the desktop. Putting the base unit on the floor can reduce noise, but ensure proper ventilation. Use a surge protecting trailing socket to plug all the power leads into.

When you say BB not available, do you mean not in your area? Dial-up account may be enough for a beginner, but it will block your telephone line (though you can get a gadget to alert you that someone is trying to call in). A separate line is recommended unless you intend to use the Internet only during unsocial hours. Email is no problem as you only need to go on-line for a minute or two to send/retrieve email.

Make proper arrangements to backup software and data. Many disasters can be recovered from with a system restore or reinstall from good backups. You will need a CD-RW drive, zip drive, or tape.

Legolas 12:41 10 Mar 03

An extra phone line is neccessary if you do not want to miss calls and if you will be on the Internet a lot. If you are with BT you would be better to contact them to get the price as their web site on pricing is confusing to say the least.

Legolas 12:41 10 Mar 03

An extra phone line is neccessary if you do not want to miss calls and if you will be on the Internet a lot. If you are with BT you would be better to contact them to get the price as their web site on pricing is confusing to say the least, but if you want a look go here click here

Ritchbee 15:28 10 Mar 03

Thanks for the info guys.
You've made it a lot clearer.

Cheers and Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…