Install xp from recovery cd over illegal copy

elle2u 11:58 11 Oct 08

Hi

Ive been given a PC with an illegal copy of xp installed. I have a recovery cd from my laptop. Can I install a second copy from the recovery disc (so that I keep the drivers for all the hardware that`s installed) and if so how do I do it?

The drives have been assigned differently too. The hard drives are e.g E and F insted of C and D (hope this makes sense!) I presume I would insall the second copy on the same drive as the first for it to work?
Thanks
Elle

tullie 12:01 11 Oct 08

The recovery cd will only work on the computer it was made for.

birdface 12:21 11 Oct 08

If you have a COA sticker on the side of your computer with the keycode on it.Borrow an XP disc the same as what is on the COA sticker[XP Home or whatever]And you will be able to reformat from there.Just noticed that you have been given the computer so you may have to purchase a new Version of XP. But I would try the first way to see if it works.

elle2u 14:29 11 Oct 08

There is no sticker on the PC I will buy a copy. How do I install it as a second copy and will that restore the drivers for the hardware thats installed?
Thanks again
Elle

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 11 Oct 08

will that restore the drivers for the hardware thats installed

No back up the drivers to an external source first using something like Driver max click here

or when you have your new COA (key) just change it in the installed version to legalise it.
Change KEY

Changing the Windows XP product key may be necessary if you discover your current key is pirated or illegal but you don't want to reinstall Windows XP to activate your new legal key.

Changes to the registry are made in these steps. Take great care in making only the changes described below.

1. Click on Start and then Run.
2. In the text box in the Run window, type regedit and click OK. This will open the Registry Editor program.
3. Locate the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder under My Computer and click on the (+) sign next the folder name to expand the folder.
4. Continue to expand folders until you reach the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents registry key.
5. Click on the WPAEvents folder.
6. In the results that appear in the window on the right, locate OOBETimer.
7. Right-click on the OOBETimer entry and choose Modify from the resulting menu.
8. Change at least one digit in the Value data text box and click OK. This will deactivate Windows XP.
9. Click on Start and then Run.
10. In the text box in the Run window, type the following command and click OK.

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

11. When the Windows Product Activation window appears, choose Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows and then click Next.
12. Click Change Product Key.
13. Type your new, valid Windows XP product key in the New key text boxes and then click Update.
14. If you're taken back to the previous screen and prompted, choose Remind me later.
15. Restart your PC.

elle2u 15:21 11 Oct 08

Does microsoft allow one copy of windows to be used on a laptop and a PC if its for my own use? In which case could I use the COA from the laptop to make the one on the PC genine?

elle2u 15:36 11 Oct 08

Ignore the last post it can only be installed on one computer microsoft are explicit about this!!!
I will buy a new copy and use the key to validate the existing copy.
Thanks for your help

elle2u 17:10 11 Oct 08

Would I be able do this with an OEM version or do I need to buy a retail version?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:15 11 Oct 08

Yes all you are doing is changing the serial key.

Ashrich 22:11 11 Oct 08

Download Magical Jellybean Finder , run it , and you can change the Product Key from there , no need to run set up again , just enter the new key and click on OK , it will write to the registry and all will be well .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now