Install XP Pro on Dell Optiplex 755

Eargasm 23:09 12 Jul 10

Hi All
Just bought a second hand tower a Dell Optiplex 755 Core 2 Duo 1GB Ram 80 GB Hard drive ( only £20) so i am not too fussed if i can't resolve this issue.
The computer would not boot up ( stuck in a loop) and came with no recovery or driver Cd's. It does however have a Genuine COA Sticker on the case for XP PRO. So i borrowed a XP Pro disk from work and wiped the hard drive to start afresh, all went well until entering the 25 digit key from the case it will not accept it " Invalid Product Key".
I have looked in the I386 Folder of the XP Disk at the PID value and it ends in 270 which means it is a Volume Licence CD and is not compatible.
So my question is will a XP Pro OEM Disk work with the code on the case, or is it specific to Dell and therefore need a Dell XP Pro disk ?
I have in the past used my XP Home OEM Disk on other peoples computers with their code to reinstall without any problems and activate by phone.

Taff™ 00:02 13 Jul 10

XP Pro disk will work as long as it is an OEM version. I`ve done this with a Dell machine in the past. May need activating by phone though if I remember correctly.

bobbybluenose 00:11 13 Jul 10

yes you will activate this by phone,

Eargasm 21:29 13 Jul 10

Thanks all, I will see if i can borrow a XP Pro OEM and give it another go.

Taff™ 15:50 15 Jul 10

Did you manage to borrow the right disc and get it working?

Eargasm 18:29 15 Jul 10

Hi Taff
As yet i have not managed to borrow a disc, everyone i have asked at work only has a recovery partition on their hard drives and no actual disc.
I'm off on my jollies on Sunday 2 weeks in Turkey, so i will leave it until after then and see if i can pick up a copy on ebay.
Cheers

Eargasm 10:16 17 Jul 10

Just found this on Ebay £10.50 including postage

Can anyone confirm that this would work with my Dell code ? Thanks

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…