Install XP to a partition ???

wilf3102 16:39 03 Nov 04

I would like to create a dual boot system, on my current 98 machine, with XP.

I have Partition Magic, and can create a partition for XP to go on.

Having read some information from michaelstevenstech.com and other sources, im a bit baffled as to how i could do this, without a whole reformat first.

I understand you can install XP to a partition other than C:/, but how do i make this a dual booting drive.

I read something about a DOS partition for the primary partition - "If you are planning to dual boot XP, I would create a small 100 meg DOS partition for the first primary partition, then an 8 to 10 gig partition for XP".
Does this apply to me, or just for users with a clean harddrive??

I would like to add XP to my current 98 system, using a partition, without a reformat of it all - is it possible - and can i boot from it??

Many thanks
CDW

joseph K 16:55 03 Nov 04

Whatever, you are right to do absolutely nothing until you know all the details back to front!

Caså 17:27 03 Nov 04

Thats just what I did.

Make your partition...boot from XP CDrom...make sure you pick the correct partition & install XP...

XP will give you a boot menu.

wilf3102 17:36 03 Nov 04

Do you know what size partition will be suitable?
I will give this a try.

Being unfamiliar with all this, i like to be well informed before carrying out such tasks.

Regards,
CDW

Caså 17:48 03 Nov 04

My XP is 11gig,So I would say at least 15gig

Newuser38 19:25 03 Nov 04

This previous posting may be helpful click here you must follow the advanced route (and not the upgrade route which will upgrade and in effect remove 98 from your pc.)

Dont be afraid it is easy, but be clear before you start.

Newuser38 17:00 13 Nov 04

Did you manage it?

wilf3102 12:14 14 Nov 04

Hiya,

I managed to install XP to my partition - and it only took about a couple of GIG's, so theres plenty of room left on the partition.

Dual boot works a treat - and I can still see all the partitions in both OS's!!!

Many thanks for your help !!

wilf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…