install xp on a laptop with no icons?

Ikelos 14:45 13 Oct 10

hi, I did ask the same sort of question yesterday, but I think I worded it wrong, so here goes.......I installed xp, but it said there were files missing, so I installed it all again, this time, all I have is the desktop wallper and no icons, I can get the task manager up, with "ctrl-alt and delete" so I have access to the "run" command. how can I force it to load the CD. and for the laugh value, been messing with this since sunday afternoon, I have tried most things, I think, from bits I have got from google, but still It will not go. thanks

birdface 14:56 13 Oct 10

In task manager does explorer.exe show.
If not click on file.new Task.And add explorer.exe
or right click the Taskbar and there should be something on there to show icons.

birdface 14:58 13 Oct 10

Using w/7 it could be different.
Right click middle of windows screen.View.And show desktop icons.

birdface 15:00 13 Oct 10

Sorry I should have said I am using W/7 so not sure if it is the same on XP.

Pineman100 15:01 13 Oct 10

What icons do you expect to see on your desktop? It may simply be a case that you need to place some shortcuts there yourself.

Have you looked in your All Programs list to see what's there? Does it look as though you've got a full installation of everything you expect? Have you got Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows Media Player, Accessories, etc?

If you look in Windows Explorer, can you see a folder called Windows on your C: drive, with a long list of other folders inside it?

Ikelos 15:19 13 Oct 10

Hi all.
there is no "right click" and of course I have no task bar, I typed in "explorer.exe" the screen flashed and nothing.....

Ikelos 15:21 13 Oct 10

I did try a format but it said programmes were running and it could not stop them, how can I force it to load the xp cd. thanks

Ikelos 15:37 13 Oct 10

just got up "cmd" it said can not format because other processes are running, did I want to dismount them first, when I click .yes. it comes back and says, ..can not lock the drive the volume is still in use.

Ikelos 15:38 13 Oct 10

hi again, I will not load the cd, either from a standing start or loading it with the laptop running

birdface 15:39 13 Oct 10

a few run commands not sure if any will help or not.

click here

Ikelos 15:55 13 Oct 10

buteman, just working my way down the list.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…